1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find C - the cofactor matrix of A?

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need a way to find C - the cofactor matrix of A, assuming that A can be any arbitary matrix.

2. Relevant equations
    See 1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried Googling without much success.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2
    Do you know what the cofactor matrix actually is?

4. Feb 26, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "find the cofactor matrix"? Are you looking for a formula so you can just plug in the values of a? Such a thing can be found but it would be terribly complicated. The simplest way to find it is to use the definition- each value, [itex]C_{mn}[/itex], is the mn-cofactor of A; that is, the determinant of the matrix you get by removing the mth row and nth column of A.

5. Feb 26, 2012 #4
    I was looking for a fomula to find a cofactor matrix of any other matrix. The reason why, is because I want to be able to inverse any matrices, without only using rules of thumb which work for simple 2x2 and 2x3 matrices.

As the inverse of a matrix A is 1/|A|*adj(A), and adj(A) is the transpose of a cofactor matrix C of A, I need it to find adjugates of any matrix, to later apply it to inverse matrices.

6. Feb 26, 2012 #5
    I'll try and explain it step by step, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lets take a random matrix,

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 & 3 \\ 0 & 4 & 5 \\ 1 & 0 & 6 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Then you take the cofactor of each element.

To find the cofactor take the element, eg. [itex]A_{11}[/itex] then you delete the row and column that the elment is in. Then you find the determinant of the resultant matrix.

So for our matrix,

[itex]A_{11}[/itex], so delete row 1 and column 1.

This leaves us with,

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 4 & 5 \\ 0 & 6 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Then take the determinant of that matrix.

[tex]\begin{vmatrix} 4 & 5 \\ 0 & 6 \end{vmatrix}[/tex] = ad-bc = 4 * 6 - 5 * 0 = 24.

So the first element, [itex]A_{11}[/itex], of the cofactor matrix is 24.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}24 & ? & ? \\ ? & ? & ? \\ ? & ? & ? \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Just repeat the steps for the rest of the elements.

7. Feb 26, 2012 #6
    Thanks a lot, this helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook