1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find direction of mangetic field created by current

1. Aug 7, 2011 #1
    how to find direction of magnetic field created by toroid

I don't understand how to find the direction of B resulting from a toroid. In the following example from my textbook, the direction of B is found by symmetry arguments are used. (I highlighted this in yellow). Could someone please explain?
    Thanks!

8e6d269a.png

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The symmetry argument does not address direction; it merely means the field is the same all around the loop because rotating the loop a few degrees does not change the situation.

The direction is determined by the hand rule. This page has it in the very first diagram:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfie.html#c1
    I urge you to find a piece of wire and make a toroid. Then choose a spot on it and wrap your hand around it with your thumb in the direction of the current. Your fingers indicate the direction of the B field. It will go one way inside the coil, the opposite way outside it.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook