1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find energy output of a wave over the course of one hour.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    given the:
    Intensity = .026 W/m^2
    Distance = 4.3m

How much sound energy does the source emit in one our if its power output remains constant

2. Relevant equations

Pmax = sqrt ( uF(w^2)(A^2))

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know where to start and that is the only relevent equation that i can think. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not able to decipher that equation.

You are given the Power/Area for a sphere of the given radius. What is the surface area of that sphere? What does that give you for the total power being emitted by the source?

Then use the fact that Power = Energy/Time to calculate how much energy per hour will be emitted by the source. Be sure to carry units along in your calculation, because you are going to have to convert between seconds and hours at one point...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook