How to find g using a simple pendulum?

In summary, the equation for determining g from a pendulum is: T=2(pi)*under root of (length of pendulum/g).
xXsKiLLzXx
How to find "g" using a simple pendulum?

We just started physics in grade 11.
I have no idea of how to find g using a pendulum.
This a lab we will have to do soon in the near future
I am here to do some research before we have to do the lab.
I've done some other research on the net, and i came up with no solution.

What is the equation for to determine g from a pendulum?
What are the variables?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Perhaps you could try researching the general phenomenon of simple harmonic motion first, leading to the specific case of a pendulum.

What you'll most likely be doing is measuring the period of the pendulum (How long it takes for it to complete one swing back and forth.)

Explore the general case of simple harmonic motion to find the formula for the period of such a motion, and then see what the period is for a mathematical pendulum (The kind you'll be exploring in your lab.)

Just to give you a biiiiig hint, at some point during your work, you'll see that for a swinging pendulum, simple harmonic motion does not hold. However, at small angles, [tex]\theta\approx\sin{\theta}[/tex] holds true, so you can use it to describe the motion of the pendulum as simple harmonic.

I think you may be thinking about the problem backwards.

A formula that takes information about a pendulum and gives you the value of g would work, sure.

But wouldn't about a formula that takes g and tells you information about the pendulum work just as well?

We did that.
Time period T = 2(pi)*under root of (length of pendulum/g).
(pi=3.14)
You find value of time period and length of pendulum. Then modify the above equation,put the values and calculate.

1. How do I measure the length of a simple pendulum?

The length of a simple pendulum can be measured by using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance from the point of suspension to the center of mass of the pendulum.

2. What is the formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do I find the value of g using a simple pendulum?

To find the value of g using a simple pendulum, you can use the formula g = 4π²L/T², where L is the length of the pendulum and T is the period. Measure the length of the pendulum and time its period, then plug the values into the formula to calculate g.

4. Can the mass of the pendulum affect the value of g?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect the value of g. As long as the length and period of the pendulum remain constant, the value of g will also remain constant.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of using a simple pendulum to find g?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of using a simple pendulum to find g include air resistance, friction at the point of suspension, and variations in the length or period of the pendulum. It is important to minimize these factors by using a thin, light pendulum and conducting the experiment in a controlled environment.