Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find Resonance frequency of rectangualr cavity from FDTD data

1. Oct 21, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    I have written 3D FDTD code with Mur ABC which gives correct results for time domain data.
    Now I want to compute the resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity using this 3D FDTD code.
    I donot know how I will do that.

Would someone please advise me the steps I need to follow now to calculate the rectangular cavity resonance frequency.
    Any code or help on how the time domain data need to be processed is highly appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2013 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe this is a silly suggestion, but could you just use a chirp pulse (or even white noise) as an input and then use an FFT on the output?

I can't think of a better method right now, of course you could just "scan" across frequencies and look at the amplitude of the output; but chirp+FFT should be faster, and I believe this is how it is usually done in e.g. SPICE simulations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook