Tension in string connecting 6.0 kg box on 44° slope to 1.5 kg hanging weight

  • Thread starter Thread starter fronomo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    String Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
fronomo
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 6.0 box is on a frictionless 44 slope and is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging 1.5 weight.

1.What is the tension in the string if the 6.0 box is held in place, so that it cannot move?

2.What is the tension in the string once the box begins to move?


Homework Equations


T=m*a


The Attempt at a Solution


I did a free body diagram for the two masses but I missed a day of class and I'm trying to figure out exactly how to set this up to solve it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

-Chris
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fronomo,

fronomo said:

Homework Statement


A 6.0 box is on a frictionless 44 slope and is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging 1.5 weight.

1.What is the tension in the string if the 6.0 box is held in place, so that it cannot move?

2.What is the tension in the string once the box begins to move?


Homework Equations


T=m*a


The Attempt at a Solution


I did a free body diagram for the two masses but I missed a day of class and I'm trying to figure out exactly how to set this up to solve it.

What do you free body diagrams look like? For example, what about the force diagram for the 1.5 (kg?) hanging box look like for the first case? What equation can you get from it?