How to find the angle of a pinned rod at a certain depth

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
hdp12
Messages
67
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



The uniform 5 m-long round wooden rod (ρ = 800 kg/m3 ) is tied to the bottom by a string with length 1 m. Determine the inclination angle θ if the water level is 3.5 m. What if the water level is 7m?

Homework Equations



Fb = ρgV

The Attempt at a Solution



So I'm really struggling with the conceptualization of this one.
I know that
Fg on rod = ρrod⋅Vrod⋅g
FB = ρwater⋅Vdisplaced⋅g

if the depth of the water is 1 m, then there is no y-force on the string. This means that at a water depth of 1 m, the gravitational force is equal to the buoyancy force.
This means that the volume of water displaced is...
( I calculated it out )... 0.02011 m3

What, however, must I do when I begin to increase the water level?
 
Attachments
  • SS 2017-02-17 at 10.22.56 AM.png
    SS 2017-02-17 at 10.22.56 AM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 573
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice exercise ! You know how much of the stick is above water as a function of ##\theta##, right ? The make a free body diagram (a force balance).