1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the area of an n-dimensional triangle?

1. Aug 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How to find area of an n-dimensional triangle using vectors?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2
    bump

4. Aug 16, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

First, what do you mean by the area of such an object? Do you mean its n-dimensional volume?
    Second, please show some attempt or thoughts on the matter. Anything relevant you've been taught? Can you do it for 3 dimensions?

5. Aug 16, 2014 #4
    Find the area of the triangle with sides

A = (a1 ... an)
    B = (b1 ... bn)
    and A-B = (a1-b1 ... an-bn)

I don't even know where to start. I know how to do it in 3D with the cross product, but that obviously won't work for higher dimensions.

So I need help generalizing for Rn.

6. Aug 16, 2014 #5
    ? Let me know if I've explained the problem sufficiently

7. Aug 16, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are n-dimensional generalisations of the cross-product, one of them will work.

Alternatively, use the dot product and some vector additions in the same way you can do it in two dimensions.

8. Aug 16, 2014 #7
    Some elaboration on that would help, is possible?

9. Aug 16, 2014 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you draw a sketch? What you try so far to follow that idea?

10. Aug 16, 2014 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your terminology is incorrect and highly misleading. You are not talking about an "n-dimensional triangle"; you are talking about a standard triangle located in an n-dimensional space. Your triangle is still a "2-dimensional" object. Recognizing that is very important for solving the problem.

11. Aug 16, 2014 #10
    I've literally typed out the question as it has been given.

I think take it as a standard triangle in n-dim space

12. Aug 16, 2014 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, so we are agreed on that. Now what would you do next?

If I were doing this problem I would look for formulas for a triangle that involve only norms and inner products of the vectors forming the triangle's sides.

13. Aug 16, 2014 #12
    A = {2,1,2,4}
    B = {4,1,6,2}

angle = arccos( (A.B)/(norm(A)*norm(B)) )

area = (1/2)A.B sin(angle)

Is this correct? if yes, it is easy to generalize for Rn.

14. Aug 16, 2014 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can make it a lot neater by expressing ##\sin(\arccos(u))## in a simpler way---just think about what ##\arccos(u)## actually means, and what that says about its sine.

15. Aug 16, 2014 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One method: draw a triangle with angle [itex]\theta= arcos(u)[/itex]. Then, since cosine is "near side over hypotenuse", we can label the hypotenuse 1 and the near side u. By the Pythagorean theorem, the opposite side has length [itex]\sqrt{1- u^2}[/itex] so that [itex]sin(arcos(u))= sin(\theta)= \sqrt{1- u^2}/1= \sqrt{1- u^2}[/itex].

Or: since [itex]sin^(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex], [itex]sin(\theta)= \sqrt{1- cos^2(\theta)}[/itex]. So [itex]sin(arcos(u))= \sqrt{1- cos^2(\theta)}= \sqrt{1- cos^2(arcos(\theta))}=\sqrt{1- u^2}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted