How to find the eigenvectors for a given matrix using the example in a textbook?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the given system can be solved by subtracting $\lambda$ from the diagonal entries of the matrix and taking the determinant, resulting in the eigenvalues $\lambda_1 = 2, \lambda_2 = 2, \lambda_3 = 4$. The corresponding eigenvectors can be found by solving the equation $\left ( \begin{matrix} 2 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 4 \end{matrix} \right ) \left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{matrix} \right ) = \lambda \left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Solve the system
$$Y'=\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 4 \end{bmatrix}Y$$
subtract $\lambda$ from the diagonal entries of the given matrix and take det:
$$\left|
\begin{array}{ccc}
- \lambda + 2 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & - \lambda + 2 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & - \lambda + 4
\end{array}\right|
=(-\lambda+2)^{2}(-\lambda+4)$$
the roots are:
$$\lambda_1=2,\quad\lambda_2=2, \quad\lambda_3=4$$this is the example in the book I am trying to follow but I don't see how they got these vectors or the rest of it
(my matrix is similiar)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/8922

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
Solve the system
$$Y'=\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 4 \end{bmatrix}Y$$
subtract $\lambda$ from the diagonal entries of the given matrix and take det:
$$\left|
\begin{array}{ccc}
- \lambda + 2 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & - \lambda + 2 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & - \lambda + 4
\end{array}\right|
=(-\lambda+2)^{2}(-\lambda+4)$$
the roots are:
$$\lambda_1=2,\quad\lambda_2=2, \quad\lambda_3=4$$this is the example in the book I am trying to follow but I don't see how they got these vectors or the rest of it
(my matrix is similiar)
Okay, so now find your eigenvectors:
\(\displaystyle \left ( \begin{matrix} 2 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 4 \end{matrix} \right ) \left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{matrix} \right ) = 2 \left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{matrix} \right )\)

etc. (Remember that you have that double eigenvalue, too!)

-Dan

topsquark said:
Okay, so now find your eigenvectors:
\(\displaystyle \left ( \begin{matrix} 2 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 4 \end{matrix} \right ) \left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{matrix} \right ) = 2 \left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{matrix} \right )\)

etc. (Remember that you have that double eigenvalue, too!)

-Dan

So would $\lambda=4$ just be:
$$\displaystyle \left ( \begin{matrix} 2 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 4 \end{matrix} \right )
\left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{matrix} \right ) =4\left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{matrix} \right )$$

karush said:
So would $\lambda=4$ just be:
$$\displaystyle \left ( \begin{matrix} 2 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 4 \end{matrix} \right )
\left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{matrix} \right ) =4\left ( \begin{matrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{matrix} \right )$$
Correct. So one choice of the eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue 4 is \(\displaystyle \left ( \begin{matrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ 4 \end{matrix} \right )\).

Can you get the other two?

-Dan

Addendum: Normally (pun intended) for Physics I would normalize this to \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{21}} \left ( \begin{matrix} 1 \\ 2 \\ 4 \end{matrix} \right )\), but I don't know what conventions a Mathematician would ordinarily use.

1. What is the meaning of "y'={}Y" in the system?

The notation "y'={}Y" in the system means that the derivative of the function y is equal to the vector Y, where Y is a set of equations or values.

2. How do you solve a system with "y'={}Y" notation?

To solve a system with "y'={}Y" notation, you can use methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to find the values of y that satisfy the given equations.

3. Can you provide an example of a system with "y'={}Y" notation?

One example of a system with "y'={}Y" notation is:

y' = {2x + 3y, 4x - y}

This system can be solved using substitution or elimination to find the values of x and y that satisfy both equations.

4. What is the difference between "y'={}Y" notation and "y'=" notation?

The "y'={}Y" notation indicates that the derivative of y is equal to a vector of equations or values, while "y'=" notation simply states that the derivative of y is equal to a single equation or value.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving systems with "y'={}Y" notation?

Yes, there are specific techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of successive approximations that can be used to solve systems with "y'={}Y" notation. These methods involve finding a general solution that satisfies all the equations in the system.