1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the interval of decrease on (x^3 - 1)/(x^3 + 1)?

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x) = (x3 - 1)/(x3 + 1)

2. Relevant equations
    (d/dx)[f(x)/g(x)] = [f`(x)⋅g(x) - f(x)⋅g`(x)]/[g(x)]2

3. The attempt at a solution
    f`(x) = [3x2(x3 + 1) - 3x2(x3 - 1)]/[(x3 + 1)]2
    f`(x) = 3x2[(x3 + 1) - (x3 - 1)]/[(x3 + 1)]2
    f`(x) = 3x2(2)/[(x3 + 1)]2

f`(x) = 6x2/(x3 + 1)2

When I made a sign chart for this derivative, I couldn't find any x that could make the value of f`(x) negative. It's always positive, because both terms are squared. So I can't find any interval of decrease, and in turn, any local minimum or maximum. I'm asked to also write the intervals of concave up/down and any inflection points. I highly doubt my professor would assign a problem where I would just write N/A for six of these values. Am I doing something wrong? What x would make this derivative negative? Or perhaps, am I not deriving this correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your calculations look correct to me

4. Nov 2, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Technically, f' is not always positive -- it's undefined for x = -1. Otherwise, f' > 0 for any ##x \ne -1##.
    As far as concavity, the 2nd derivative changes sign at a number of points, so writing N/A for these parts would be incorrect.

5. Nov 2, 2015 #4
    You mean f``(x)? I looked into local minima/maxima a bit more just now, and it looks like it depends on the second derivative. Other than that, there is no interval of decrease, is there?

6. Nov 2, 2015 #5

Mark44

Yes, f'' determines the concavity. On any interval where f''(x) > 0, the graph of f is concave up, and on any interval where f''(x) < 0, the graph of f is concave down.
    No. Since f'(x) is never 0, which you showed, there are no local maxima or minima.
    No, there isn't.

7. Nov 3, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, ##f'(0) = 0##, so ##f'(x)## can be zero in places. However, ##x=0## is a stationary inflection point, rather like in the graph of ##y = x^3##.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
  8. Nov 3, 2015 #7

Mark44

Yes, you're correct about f'(0), Ray. I forgot that the numerator could be zero, and misspoke.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted