How to find the limit of (e^(4/x) - 2x)^(X/2) as x-> 0+

• Thread starter mathor345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, when taking the limit as x --> 0+, you need to let y = (e4/x - 2x)x/2, and then take the ln of both sides to find the limit.
mathor345
How to find the limit of (e^(4/x) - 2x)^(X/2) as x--> 0+

Homework Statement

[tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{x \to 0+} (e^{4/x} -2x)^{x/2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

if lim ln f(x) = L then [tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{x \to 0+} e^{ln f(x)} = e^L[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not too sure what my first step is. If I just plug in, I get 1. I tried taking the ln of the function, but that gives me a non-indeterminant result 0/2. Is the idea to take the ln, then derive, AND THEN solve?

Physics news on Phys.org

You can't just "plug in" 0 for x since e4/x is undefined. I would start by letting y = (e4/x - 2x)x/2, and then taking the ln of both sides.

Then take the limit as x --> 0+. Your book probably has an example of this technique.

mathor345 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{x \to 0+} (e^{4/x} -2x)^{x/2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

if lim ln f(x) = L then [tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{x \to 0+} e^{ln f(x)} = e^L[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not too sure what my first step is. If I just plug in, I get 1. I tried taking the ln of the function, but that gives me a non-indeterminant result 0/2. Is the idea to take the ln, then derive, AND THEN solve?

To make it a little bit clearer for you. I'll give you an example:
Example:
Evaluate:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ {+}} x ^ x[/tex]
This is the indeterminate form 00.

Note that: When encountering [tex]0 ^ 0[/tex], or [tex]\infty ^ 0[/tex], we often consider letting y = the expression we need to take the limit. When take ln of both sides. Then try to find the limit of ln(y). (this is what Mark44 told you).

Ok, so in my example. Let:
y = xx
ln(y) = xln(x)

So: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ {+}} \ln y = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ {+}} x \ln x[/tex]

The RHS is in the indeterminate form [tex]0 \times \infty[/tex]. However, we can only apply L'Hopital's Rule when it's [tex]\frac{0}{0}, \mbox{ or } \frac{\infty}{\infty}[/tex]. So we do a little trick to change the indeterminate form, like this:

[tex]... = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ {+}} \frac{\ln x}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

Now, it's [tex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}[/tex]. Applying L'Hopital Rule here, we have:
[tex]... = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ {+}} \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{-\frac{1}{x ^ 2}} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ {+}} (-x) = 0[/tex].

By the definition of y, we have: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ {+}} \ln y = 0[/tex], which in turn means that: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ {+}} y = e ^ 0 = 1[/tex].

So: [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0 ^ {+}} x ^ x = 1[/tex].

Now, let's see if you can tackle your problem. It's pretty much the same thing. :)

1. What is a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value or point.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can either plug in values that are approaching the given value or use algebraic techniques such as factoring or simplifying.

3. What is the significance of the "x-> 0+" notation in the given limit?

The "x-> 0+" notation indicates that the limit is being evaluated as x approaches 0 from the positive side. This means that the values of x are getting closer and closer to 0, but are always greater than 0.

4. How does the function (e^(4/x) - 2x)^(x/2) behave as x approaches 0 from the positive side?

As x approaches 0 from the positive side, the function (e^(4/x) - 2x)^(x/2) approaches 1. This is because the exponential term (e^(4/x)) dominates the function and the negative term (-2x) becomes negligible.

5. Can you evaluate the limit of (e^(4/x) - 2x)^(x/2) at x=0?

No, the limit cannot be evaluated at x=0 because the function is not defined at this point. This is because the exponential term in the function becomes undefined when x=0.