How to Find the Y Component of the Electric Field Ey?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Triathlete
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
The Problem:
The electric potential in a certain region is
V = αx2y2+βz2(x2-γ)+δy3z
where α = 5 V/m4, β = 4.5 V/m4, γ =6.8 m2, and δ = 7.1 V/m4.
What is the y component of the electric field Ey at (1.3 m, −3 m, 4.4 m)?
Answer in units of V/m

My Attempt:

I took the partial derivative with respect to y and got
Ey = 10x2y + 4.5z2(x2-6.8) + 21.3y2z

(But I think I may have done that wrong...)

I then plugged in my values for x, y, and z, and got 347.5968 as my answer, which was wrong. Any help would be appreciated! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you got your middle term with the factor of 4.5? The middle term of V doesn't seem to depend on y.

Also, the components of E are not given by the partial derivatives of V (but close!)
 
Thanks for the response,
I knew I must have messed something up in that derivative. So it should be Ey = 10x2y+21.3y2z.

But if not the partial derivatives, then I am confused as to what I am supposed to be looking for.
 
Triathlete said:
But if not the partial derivatives, then I am confused as to what I am supposed to be looking for.

See here and note if there's something you left out.