• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to find which of three points are on a line?

• Thread starter rocapp
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Which of these three points falls on the line?

l: r(t)=(i+2j)+t(6i+j-5k)

P(1,2,0); Q(-5,1,5); R(-4,2,5)

I have the answer, but I don't understand why P and Q fall on the line but R does not. Is it because the i and j magnitudes are different for R?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P:
(1+6t) = 1
t=0

2=2+t
t=0

t=0

Q:
-5=1+6t
t=-1

1=2+t
t=-1

t=0

R:
-4=1+6t
t=-5/6

2=t+2
t=0

t=0

Answers and Replies

First, you are right that P and Q fall on the line and R does not. And as you see, R is not on the line because using those points you get 3 incompatible equations in t.

Whether a point falls on a line depends on all 3 magnitudes, i, j and k, and the trivial answer to your question is that most combinations will not work i.e. most 3 dimensional points are not on any given line.

However, working backwards from the equation we can get some insight. For example r(0) = i + 2j. So the point that fits there is P = (1,2,0). When you look at r(-1) = -5i + j - 5k, you see that Q = (-5,1,-5) is a point on the line.

But your incompatible equation for R tells you that there is no possible t for which r(t) = R. It's not really deeper than that.

Thanks! I think I understand, but what about the t=0 in R? Does this value not count since there is already an incompatible value in its components?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Which of these three points falls on the line?

l: r(t)=(i+2j)+t(6i+j-5k)

P(1,2,0); Q(-5,1,5); R(-4,2,5)

I have the answer, but I don't understand why P and Q fall on the line but R does not. Is it because the i and j magnitudes are different for R?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P:
(1+6t) = 1
t=0

2=2+t
t=0

t=0

Q:
-5=1+6t
t=-1

1=2+t
t=-1

t=0

R:
-4=1+6t
t=-5/6

2=t+2
t=0

t=0
The line has parametric equations x = 1 + 6t, y = 2 + t, z = -5t. A point (a,b,c) lies on the line if the equations a = 1+6t, b = 2+t, c = -5t are compatible; that is, we must get the same t from all three equations.

Thanks a bunch! That's what I needed.