How to format a data ascii file in Fortran on RedHat linux?

• Fortran
  • Thread starter Fortran_begin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, Fortran is a popular choice for scientific and engineering applications, including data analysis. It is still widely used in scientific computing, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and geophysics. While it is not commonly used for machine learning, there are some libraries and frameworks available for this purpose. Fortran is a structured and easy-to-learn language, making it suitable for those with a background in mathematics and science. It also supports parallel programming through its coarray feature, making it suitable for high-performance computing and simulation tasks.
Fortran_begin
it is my first post and It is very serious and urgent
I have a data ascii file composed of real and integer data.
these data are separated by commas.

would any of you write some code to change its format into this?
FORMAT(5I3,F7.2,F6.2,F8.3,F7.2,F10.3,2F7.2,F6.2,I4,f6.1,F6.2)

I am a beginner in Fortran programing and I use RedHat linux to compile it.

thank you

Technology news on Phys.org
We will not do your homework for you. You need to show us your work, show us where you're stuck, and ask for specific help.

- Warren

for your help

I would suggest the following steps to format a data ascii file in Fortran on RedHat linux:

1. Begin by opening your Fortran code editor on RedHat linux. This could be a text editor such as Vim or a dedicated Fortran IDE like gfortran.

2. Use the "open" command to open your data ascii file in the editor.

3. Next, add the "format" statement to your code, specifying the desired format for your data. In this case, the format statement is: FORMAT(5I3,F7.2,F6.2,F8.3,F7.2,F10.3,2F7.2,F6.2,I4,f6.1,F6.2)

4. Now, you need to add the "read" statement to your code to read in the data from the ascii file. This could be done using the "read" statement or using the "do" loop to read in each line of data.

5. Once the data is read in, you can use the "write" statement to output the data in the desired format. This statement should include the same format statement as before.

6. Finally, compile and run your code. This will convert your data ascii file into the desired format.

As a beginner in Fortran programming, it may be helpful to refer to online resources or seek help from experienced programmers to ensure that your code is correctly written and executed. Good luck with your project!

1. Can I use Fortran for data analysis?

Yes, Fortran is a popular choice for scientific and engineering applications, including data analysis. It has a rich set of libraries and built-in functions for handling large datasets and performing complex calculations.

2. Is Fortran still used in scientific computing?

Yes, Fortran is still widely used in scientific computing, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and geophysics. Many legacy codes are written in Fortran, and it continues to be a reliable and efficient language for scientific applications.

3. Can I use Fortran for machine learning?

While Fortran is not commonly used for machine learning, there are some libraries and frameworks available that allow for machine learning tasks to be performed in Fortran. However, other languages such as Python and R are more commonly used for this purpose.

4. Is Fortran difficult to learn?

Fortran is a structured and easy-to-learn language, particularly for those with a background in mathematics and science. Its syntax is simple and readable, and it has a relatively small set of keywords and rules compared to other programming languages.

5. Can I use Fortran for parallel programming?

Yes, Fortran supports parallel programming through its coarray feature, which allows for the creation of parallel processes and shared memory among processors. This makes it a suitable language for high-performance computing and simulation tasks.