1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to generate a magnetic field

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    dear all
    i am trying to generate a magnetic field of intensity about 10 k A/m i have i 1 mm copper wire and a power supply 12v DC 18 amp max, i am winding the coil about 100 turn- 10 layers ( each layer with two ends)
    the first problem that the coil heats up, also the resistance of the each layer is about 1.2 Ω and when i connect the solenoid to the power supply it makes a short circuit to the power supply
    my questions are
    1- is this no of turns and the amp available is sufficient to generate this intenisty of the magnetic field?
    2- how to over come the short circuiting of the power supply?
    3- how to over come the over heating of the solenoid?
    4- is it much better to make the solenoid all connected together without separating each layer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

1. This link should get you the equations and stuff you need to calculate your field. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html#c3

2. You could try adding a resistor in the circuit or using a current limiting power supply.

3. Less current will reduce the heating, as would using a larger wire, as that would decrease the resistance. If you have no choice you could try to force air over it with a fan or water cool it. (Warning, be VERY careful about using water cooling to avoid a short.)

4. I'm not sure what you mean. Why are the layers seperated? Is your wire coated with an insulating material, or are you using bare copper wire?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook