How to generate a magnetic field

In summary, the individual is attempting to generate a magnetic field with a 1 mm copper wire and a 12v DC 18 amp power supply. However, there are issues with the coil heating up and causing a short circuit. They have questions about the number of turns and amperage needed for the desired intensity, how to prevent short circuiting, and how to reduce the heating of the solenoid. Additionally, they mention the possibility of connecting the layers of the solenoid together. Suggestions include using equations to calculate the field, adding a resistor or current limiting power supply to prevent short circuiting, reducing current or using a larger wire to decrease heating, and possibly using a fan or water cooling to cool the solenoid
androsidhom
dear all
i am trying to generate a magnetic field of intensity about 10 k A/m i have i 1 mm copper wire and a power supply 12v DC 18 amp max, i am winding the coil about 100 turn- 10 layers ( each layer with two ends)
the first problem that the coil heats up, also the resistance of the each layer is about 1.2 Ω and when i connect the solenoid to the power supply it makes a short circuit to the power supply
my questions are
1- is this no of turns and the amp available is sufficient to generate this intenisty of the magnetic field?
2- how to over come the short circuiting of the power supply?
3- how to over come the over heating of the solenoid?
4- is it much better to make the solenoid all connected together without separating each layer?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. This link should get you the equations and stuff you need to calculate your field. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html#c3

2. You could try adding a resistor in the circuit or using a current limiting power supply.

3. Less current will reduce the heating, as would using a larger wire, as that would decrease the resistance. If you have no choice you could try to force air over it with a fan or water cool it. (Warning, be VERY careful about using water cooling to avoid a short.)

4. I'm not sure what you mean. Why are the layers seperated? Is your wire coated with an insulating material, or are you using bare copper wire?

What is a magnetic field and why is it important?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnet or electric current and exerts a force on other magnets or moving charged particles. It is important because it plays a crucial role in many natural processes and is used in various technologies such as generators, motors, and medical imaging devices.

What are the factors that affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnet or current producing the field, the distance from the source, and the material the field is passing through. Additionally, the orientation and shape of the magnet or current can also impact the strength of the magnetic field.

How can we generate a magnetic field?

A magnetic field can be generated in several ways. One way is by using a permanent magnet, which produces a constant magnetic field. Another way is by passing an electric current through a wire, which creates an electromagnetic field. Electromagnets can also be created by wrapping a wire around a ferromagnetic material and passing a current through it.

What are some applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are used in generators and motors to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. Magnetic fields are also used in magnetic levitation trains, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They are also used in magnetic compasses for navigation and in data storage devices like hard drives.

Can magnetic fields be harmful to human health?

Exposure to strong magnetic fields can have adverse effects on human health. However, the magnetic fields encountered in daily life are generally not strong enough to cause harm. MRI machines, which produce strong magnetic fields, have safety measures in place to protect patients. But prolonged exposure to high magnetic fields can cause dizziness, nausea, and other symptoms. It is important to follow safety guidelines when working with high magnetic fields.