How to get better at row reduction?

In summary, to become proficient at row reducing, practice, practice, and practice some more. Make mistakes, and think about what you are doing.
Noone1982
Please don't say just practice. Any specific tips?

In my class we're not allowed to use calculators, consequently I am spending all my time row reducing to find basis, dependence, etc. Frankly, I am just horrible at it, I just can't see how to get to the end.

I am a bit perplexed on the no-calculator-policy. I mean, sure doing things by hand is great, but it detracts us with the unending arithmetic. What is your view on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Row reducing isn't hard, it's just annoying. It doesn't involve any kind of mathematics which you could consider as 'hard', it's simple arithmetic.

Try to be systematic in your way of row-reducing and be careful everytime you calculate a new element, double-check your arithmetic. This takes a bit longer but it saves you a load of time compared to finding errors somewhere along the way.

If you don't already you might want to use some kind of shorthand notation to keep track of your steps. In the event of an error, it can make checking your work easier. e.g. if from one step to the next you've added 2 times row one to row two you could write [tex]R_2\rightarrow R_2+2R_1[/tex].

It's simpler to ban all calculators as some can do all of this computational stuff you'll see with matrices for you. Hopefully you aren't graded too harshly on a few arithmetic mistakes though, that you understand the process involved is much more important in my opinion.

theyve never allowed us calculators in algebra. Would seem like a waste of time anyways.

you are not asking for advice, just sympathy. or as harry truman put it when someone said he always seemed to know what should be done: "everyone knows what should be done, they just don't want to do it."

Noone1982 said:
Please don't say just practice. Any specific tips?

Yes: Practice.

Practice with it. Screw up a lot.
Practice more. Screw up again.
Practice more. Screw up less.
Practice some more. Screw up occasionally.
Practice more again. Hardly screw up anymore.

You get the idea

Noone1982 I felt your pain when I was taking linear algebra. Especially since I was a computer science student (I just changed my major). I was like: "all of this could just be reduced to a program on a computer. Why am I even learning this?"

When I was first in the class, I was doing all my homework on my calculator. Then, on the first test there was a 6x6 determinant. It was taking me FOREVER to do the problem. So, I moved onto the next problem. Finding the inverse of some matrix (I think it was a 3x3) which isn't too bad. But anyhow... again, it took me forever. Needless to say, I screwed up BAD on my first exam. So after that I just got over my whining about not having a calculator, and just put the damn thing away to do all my homework. I didn't get less then a 95 on the rest of my exams, and I can add/subtract/multiply much much faster because of that. It's pretty amazing how dependent you can get on those little machines. Also the more you just practice, the better you become at it BECAUSE of the fact that you learn little notational "tricks" to do the problem. You find out that you will constantly get the wrong answer because you are not being systematic, and you relaize you have to just relax and take it step by step. (At least it did for me). So a tip that made me somewhat (not amazing or anything) proficient at it is: make mistakes.

Last edited:
and think about what you are doing and how it is proceeding while you are practicing. the idea is not so much to become skillful at mindless calculation but to gain insight into the nature of the process.

1. How can I improve my speed in row reduction?

The best way to improve your speed in row reduction is through practice. Start with small matrices and work your way up to larger ones. Additionally, make sure you are familiar with the steps involved in row reduction and try to find shortcuts or patterns that can help you speed up the process.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid in row reduction?

Some common mistakes to avoid in row reduction include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equal sign, mixing up rows or columns, and not keeping track of the operations you have performed. It is important to stay organized and double-check your work to avoid mistakes.

3. Can I use technology to assist with row reduction?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can assist with row reduction. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of the process and not solely rely on technology. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double-check your work by hand.

4. How do I know if I have correctly reduced a matrix to row-echelon form?

A matrix is in row-echelon form when the leading coefficient (the first non-zero number) in each row is to the right of the leading coefficient in the row above it, and all elements below a leading coefficient are 0. You can also check by performing back substitution and ensuring the solution is consistent.

5. Are there any tips for remembering the steps in row reduction?

One helpful tip is to create a mnemonic device or acronym to remember the steps in row reduction. Another tip is to break down the process into smaller steps and practice each one individually until they become second nature. It can also be helpful to write out the steps and refer back to them as needed.