Row Reduction to solve for 6 Unknowns

In summary: You cannot solve for a specific value for each number but you didn't expect to, right?In summary, the homework statement is trying to explain how to solve an equation using row reduction. There is no precise form for this, and the student is unsure about how to proceed. They have been given a 3x6 matrix with three equations and six unknowns, but are uncertain how to proceed.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

I am in a calculus class where we are learning the introduction to row reduction. I have done this before in other courses, so I am familiar with the process, but I am not sure about this one. We were given:

x4 + 2x5- x6 = 2
x1 + 2x2 + x5 -x6 = 0
x1 + 2x2 + 2x3 - x5 + x6 = 2

We were supposed to: solve for each unknown or tell how many solutions this has(usually something like 0 or infinity).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We haven't learned it exactly yet, but there is no real row eschelon form for this, is there? I don't know what all I can do mathematically, it just seems to me that we only have 3 equations and 6 unknowns, so we cannot possibly solve for this, right? Am I missing something here? I wrote out the matrix exactly as it is written (if it didn't state a variable, i set it to 0. e.g. in equation 1, it does not mention x1 through x3 so I made those 0).

No matter what you do, you have a 3x6 matrix with 3 equations and 6 unknowns.

Am I missing something here? How could I mathematically answer this question and not just state what I have stated above?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just go ahead and row reduce it as far as you can. You can get rid of the ##x_1## in the middle equation with the last one, which will also get rid of the ##x_2## but that's OK. You should be able to get three rows whose first element is ##1##. Solve for those variables in terms of the others.

That's what I thought, thanks. So I have reduced it as far as I can, and it is obvious that you still cannot solve, so would an appropriate answer just be that there are No Solutions?

Yosty22 said:
That's what I thought, thanks. So I have reduced it as far as I can, and it is obvious that you still cannot solve, so would an appropriate answer just be that there are No Solutions?

I'm thinking you can likely solve for three of the variables in terms of the others, right? The extra variables are called free variables and can be anything. You have lots of solutions. The case when there would be no solutions is of one of your rows is all zeros and a nonzero on the right side.

Likes 1 person
Yosty22 said:
What do you mean by "cannot solve"? You cannot solve for a single specific value for each number but you didn't expect to, right? Part of the question was "how many solutions are there?"

You have three equations in six unknown values so if all three equations are independent you would expect to be able to solve for 6- 3= 3 of the values in terms of the other three.

What is row reduction?

Row reduction is a mathematical method used to solve systems of equations. It involves manipulating the coefficients of the equations in order to find a solution for the variables.

How does row reduction work?

Row reduction involves using elementary row operations, such as multiplying a row by a constant or adding one row to another, in order to transform the system of equations into a simpler form. This simpler form can then be solved using substitution or elimination methods.

Why is row reduction useful?

Row reduction is useful because it allows us to solve systems of equations with multiple variables quickly and efficiently. It also helps to identify whether a system of equations has a unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions.

What is the goal of row reduction?

The goal of row reduction is to transform a system of equations into a simpler form that is easier to solve. This is achieved by using elementary row operations to eliminate variables and create a triangular form, making it easier to identify a solution or determine if a solution exists.

How many unknowns can be solved using row reduction?

Row reduction can be used to solve systems of equations with any number of unknowns. However, as the number of unknowns increases, the process can become more complex and time-consuming. It is often most efficient to use row reduction for systems with 3-6 unknowns.