How to get contacts with foreign researchers?

• Other
  • Thread starter serbring
  • Start date
In summary, the author is looking for ways to increase their connections and increase their research productivity. They think that changing their research focus may be a good idea.
serbring
Hi all,

I'm doing a PostDoc in Mechanical Engineering. I'm rather satisfied with my career, I have different contacts with important firms but unfortunately I have no collaboration with foreign University and I don't know what I can do more because I have my research study and I don't know many other universities which work on a similar topic. How may increase my connections? Could you please share your experience? Any suggestion is really welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
serbring said:
Hi all,

I'm doing a PostDoc in Mechanical Engineering. I'm rather satisfied with my career, I have different contacts with important firms but unfortunately I have no collaboration with foreign University and I don't know what I can do more because I have my research study and I don't know many other universities which work on a similar topic. How may increase my connections? Could you please share your experience? Any suggestion is really welcome

Go back a bit, because you left out A LOT of information.

You said you're doing a "PostDoc", which means that you already have a Ph.D. Here are the stuff that you left out:

1. Shouldn't you have published papers in your area of expertise? You should then know almost all the "big names" and "major players" in your area throughout the world. Why don't you know this already?

2. Haven't you attend conferences? Did you not make contacts during those? After all, these conferences, workshops, etc. is the most effective means to introduce yourself and to establish networking with others in your area.

Zz.

Hi ZapperZ,

thanks for your reply. I didn't mention about papers and conferences because I supposed it was obvious I pubblished papers and I attended conferences. I was even granted for the best paper in a conference. Anyway, I don't have any contact in Academia, but many contacts with local firms. My research field was highly studied in late '90s, but then not that much, even if with the new technologies available nowadays, a big step forward could be done. I don't know If I should change a bit my research interest to something more studied or closer to community founding programmes. What do you think?

regards

1. How can I find foreign researchers to collaborate with?

There are a few different ways to find contacts with foreign researchers. One option is to attend international conferences and networking events. Another is to reach out to colleagues or mentors in your field who may have connections with researchers in other countries. You can also use online databases and directories, such as ResearchGate or LinkedIn, to search for potential collaborators.

2. What should I consider when reaching out to foreign researchers?

It's important to be respectful and professional when reaching out to foreign researchers. Make sure to familiarize yourself with their work and research interests before contacting them. It's also helpful to have a clear idea of what you hope to gain from the collaboration and how you can contribute to their research.

3. How can I overcome language barriers when collaborating with foreign researchers?

Language barriers can be a challenge when collaborating with researchers from different countries. One option is to use translation tools, such as Google Translate, to help communicate. It's also helpful to establish clear communication protocols and expectations upfront, and to be patient and understanding with any potential language barriers.

4. What are some potential benefits of collaborating with foreign researchers?

Collaborating with foreign researchers can bring many benefits, including access to new perspectives and expertise, exposure to different research methods and techniques, and the potential to expand your research network and reach a wider audience. It can also lead to new funding opportunities and publications.

5. Are there any potential challenges or risks associated with collaborating with foreign researchers?

While there are many potential benefits to collaborating with foreign researchers, there can also be challenges or risks. These may include differences in research cultures or expectations, potential delays or difficulties in communication, and potential cultural or language barriers. It's important to establish clear communication and expectations from the beginning to help minimize these potential challenges.