Independent Research in Physics

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on how to independently pursue research in theoretical physics, with a focus on publishing groundbreaking papers. They have discontinued their Master's degree and are now looking to gain admission to a foreign university. They are also interested in joining online research groups or communities for guidance. However, it is advised that they first focus on completing their education and addressing any challenges that may have led to discontinuing their Master's degree. They should also seek mentorship to help them become more competitive before attempting to publish any papers.
rahaverhma
Hi everyone ,
I have done Bachelor's in Physics from Delhi University , India . I discontinued Master's from Indian Institute of Technology more-than-1 year before completion , it was 2 year course. I want to do research in Physics independently and publish ground-breaking papers. I am asking this because I saw a video on YouTube emphasizing on " Research experience " as a very important factor out of many , for a good Resume , for admission in foreign universities. So , what things would I have to do from studying to publishing , please guide me step by step if I am doing this alone. I am interested in Theoretical Physics , specifically in Quantum Theory , Cosmology , String theory , High energy Physics , Beyond the Standard Model , Electromagnetic theory , Classical Dynamics etc.

Also, tell me if you know about any online research groups or community where I can be a part of that and be guided by them.
I would ask my other questions later if it comes to my mind .

Thank you ,
Happy Research ,
Raja.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to publish "ground breaking papers" you should finish your education.

Likes PhDeezNutz and PeroK
It sounds to me like your more immediate short term goal is to gain admission to a foreign university, and somehow you've become convinced that the way to make this happen is to independently publish some kind of ground-breaking paper.

I think the first thing to recognize is that it typically works the other way around. And so much so that this (independently publishing first, admission second) is unlikely to be an effective plan, even for an above average student.

One open question is why were you unable to complete your master's degree? And why, if another university were to admit you, is there a good chance that you'll be successful and won't have to discontinue their program when you're faced with another big challenge?

Once you have an answer for this, you'll have to identify a number of programs to apply to. And then take a serious look at your grades and curriculum vitae and figure out how competitive you'll be as is. If you're not currently competitive as you are, you'll need to figure out how to make yourself more competitive.

Generating a publication can help, sure. But you really need a mentor to help you with this. Some people can get this mentorship by volunteering in a lab or getting employment as a temporary research assistant. So you could look into something like that.

Walk first. Then run. Then fly. But try to avoid running around in a field flapping your arms.

Likes symbolipoint, PhDeezNutz, russ_watters and 1 other person

What is independent research in physics?

Independent research in physics refers to the process of conducting original and self-directed investigations in the field of physics. It involves formulating research questions, designing experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the findings.

Why is independent research important in physics?

Independent research allows scientists to explore new ideas and push the boundaries of current knowledge in physics. It also helps to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and scientific communication skills. Additionally, independent research can lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field.

How do I get started with independent research in physics?

To start independent research in physics, you should first identify a topic or area of interest. Then, conduct a literature review to understand the current state of research in that area. Next, develop a research question and design an experiment or study to answer it. Finally, collect and analyze data and present your findings.

What are some examples of independent research projects in physics?

Examples of independent research projects in physics include investigating the properties of new materials, studying the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions, exploring the effects of gravity on celestial bodies, and designing new technologies based on principles of physics.

What are the benefits of conducting independent research in physics?

Conducting independent research in physics can lead to personal and professional growth, as well as contribute to the advancement of the field. It also allows for the development of valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, which are highly sought after in many industries.