Get Published: Tips for Undergrad Physicists

• Thread starter cohen990
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of getting a mini-dissertation on hydrogen power published in a science magazine. The advice was to seek out peer-reviewed journals and submit the paper to multiple places, potentially with the help of a published professor who oversaw the research. It was also cautioned that popular-media magazines may not be the best route for publication.
cohen990
I am an undergrad physicist and I wrote a mini-dissertation on hydrogen power. My professor told me I should consider getting it published in a science magazine like scientific american or physics world or something.

How would I go about this? Do I just send it in and hope for the best?

Thanks
Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
cohen990 said:
I am an undergrad physicist and I wrote a mini-dissertation on hydrogen power. My professor told me I should consider getting it published in a science magazine like scientific american or physics world or something.

How would I go about this? Do I just send it in and hope for the best?

Thanks
Dan

Ask your professor since he/she was the one who suggested it.

Zz.

I would save some effort and pretty much forget about Scientific American or most other commercial periodicals. The articles that appear in these mags are almost always solicited. In fact, I think it may actually be policy that they don't accept unsolicited submissions. So I'd check on that first before I spent any time writing for a specific periodical and spending cash on figures, graphs, etc.

Typically, as an undergrad especially, you want to find some small, specialty journal specifically in your field and break into it that way. Often times, especially if the journal's new, they will be eager to accept unsolicited submissions.

My advisor's advice (my paraphrasing):

1. Find a bunch of peer-reviewed journals which accept unsolicited articles and publish stuff related to what you did. (As DiracPool said, SciAm and other popular-media magazines are probably *not* a good place to start!)

2. Pick the journal that looks most relevant. Edit your paper so its length/jargon/format are approximately compatible with that journal.

3. Send it and wait for a response.

4. Repeat as needed.

Warning: many journals do *not* allow you to send your paper to multiple places. That means you typically have to do this algorithm in serial form: send to journal A, wait, if rejected send to journal B, etc.

I've only done this once, but it worked. My first choice took a few months to respond, but they published it right away after that. I think it helped quite a bit that I deliberately chose a journal whose editors included people I cited who are experts in the particular subject I was writing about. That makes it hard to get away with bullgarbageting, but it also nearly guarantees that the editors will be interested in your topic.

Did you do experiments under the direction of that prof? Whoever you did research with, or the labs you collaborated with, ask those profs to help you with submitting your thesis. It might be easier to submit it if you have a published prof to back you up as the person who gave you guidance during your research. Good luck!

1. Can I publish my undergraduate research in a scientific journal?

Yes, many scientific journals accept submissions from undergraduate students. However, the quality and novelty of your research will be the determining factor in whether or not it will be accepted for publication.

2. How do I choose which journal to submit my research to?

It is important to do your research and find a journal that aligns with your field of study and the topic of your research. Look at the journal's scope, audience, and publication guidelines to determine if it is a good fit for your work.

3. What are some tips for writing a successful research paper?

Some tips include clearly stating your research question or hypothesis, providing thorough and accurate methods and data, and critically analyzing and discussing your results. It is also important to follow the journal's formatting and citation style guidelines.

4. How can I increase my chances of getting published?

You can increase your chances by conducting high-quality research, seeking feedback from mentors and peers, and addressing any reviewer comments or critiques in your revisions. It may also be beneficial to collaborate with more experienced researchers or submit your work to a less competitive journal.

5. What should I do if my research is rejected from a journal?

First, don't get discouraged - rejection is a common part of the publication process. Carefully review the journal's feedback and consider making revisions based on their comments. You can also seek guidance from your mentors or consider submitting your work to a different journal.