1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get θ sin and cos are together in 1 equation

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    b2cos2θ+2cosθ(-mb+bc2-bz-bcsinθ)+2sinθ(cm-cz)-c2sin2θ=p

How to get θ in terms of b,c,m,z,p
    The equation i formed to calculate the dynamic
    PLs, anyone can help to solve this, i would much appreciate! im doing my FYP!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Replace [itex]sin^2(\theta)[/itex] with [itex]1- cos^2(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] with [itex]\sqrt{1- cos^2(\theta)}[/itex]. That will give you an equation in [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] only. However it will involve a square root so isolate that on one side of the equation and square both sides to get a fourth degree equation in [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex]. That is not going to give a simple answer!

4. Nov 15, 2011 #3
    Thanks for ur precious reply! Somehow i still have to go through this question.. does it has any alternative method?

5. Nov 15, 2011 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

HallsofIvy's approach is the right one. Do you know the values of b,c,m,z,p (or ranges)? The equation will be easily solved numerically if you do.

6. Nov 15, 2011 #5
    b,c,m,z,p are the fixed constant, they will be known later. Somehow i cant get θ if i use HallsofIvy's approach because the existence of fourth, third, second, first degree of cos θ

7. Nov 15, 2011 #6
    and also how if i want to use numerical method? how to use it ? Matlab?

8. Nov 16, 2011 #7

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Personally, I use Mathematica, but Matlab will work. A simple Newton's method solver will find the root quickly once the coefficients are known.

9. Nov 25, 2011 #8
    may i know how do i use numerical method to solve this trigo+algebraic equation? i need to equate the equation θ in terms of b,c,m,z,p

Using Newton Raphson? (i donno how to use software, only know how to use handwritten)

10. Nov 25, 2011 #9

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You could try Wolfram Alpha, which uses the Newton_Raphson method in the "FindRoot" function. For example, when I took the values, {b=1, c=2, z=3, m=4, p=5}, then using x for cos(theta), the equation becomes:

(-5 - 6 x + x^2 - 4 (1 - x^2))^2 == (-4 + 4 x)^2 (1 - x^2)

Wolfram Alpha, using the link below, finds x = -.45969. you can then find theta using the arccos function, or a calculator.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...-4+(1-x^2))^2+==+(-4+4+x)^2(1-x^2),+{x,+0.5}]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook