1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to graph THIS? [ due tomorrow]

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    How to graph THIS? [URGENT due tomorrow]

Edit: I have to post another thread, sorry, it's getting too messy :(

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2
    Re: How to graph THIS? [URGENT due tomorrow]

*sniff* no ideas anyone? I don't mind what you think, just give me something to think about! hehe

Thanks

4. Nov 18, 2008 #3

Obviously images are 2D objects and they want you to "find the length of the room" and things like that which are in 3D. I think from the mathematical point of view it is impossible to go from 2D to 3D. It's like doing reverse of 3D mapping. Maybe as an artist you can visualise and guess what it is.
    That's all I can think of. Study 3D mapping further, maybe there is a way.

5. Nov 18, 2008 #4

I cracked how to graph it, and yeah they wanted the length of the room which got me stuck. They say from the magnification i calulated earily and assuming the camera used a lens of focal length f with the image projected on the back wall of the room (and the object is on the far wall) and from the plot I made for the D and VP points.

I don't really see the point of having the D and VP points to help, they're just basically lines that intersect in middle of the room and shoots out of the graph! But I need the image distance/objet distance before I can do anything.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?