Calculating Image and Object Distance for Room Projection using D and VP Points

• Thread starter InSpiRatioNy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with graphing and finding the length of a room in 3D. The speaker believes it is impossible to go from 2D to 3D mathematically, but suggests studying 3D mapping for a solution. The speaker eventually figures out how to graph it using the magnification calculation and D and VP points. However, they are unsure about the purpose of the D and VP points and still need to determine the image distance/object distance to continue.
InSpiRatioNy
How to graph THIS? [URGENT due tomorrow]

Edit: I have to post another thread, sorry, it's getting too messy :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

*sniff* no ideas anyone? I don't mind what you think, just give me something to think about! hehe

Thanks

Obviously images are 2D objects and they want you to "find the length of the room" and things like that which are in 3D. I think from the mathematical point of view it is impossible to go from 2D to 3D. It's like doing reverse of 3D mapping. Maybe as an artist you can visualise and guess what it is.
That's all I can think of. Study 3D mapping further, maybe there is a way.

I cracked how to graph it, and yeah they wanted the length of the room which got me stuck. They say from the magnification i calulated earily and assuming the camera used a lens of focal length f with the image projected on the back wall of the room (and the object is on the far wall) and from the plot I made for the D and VP points.

I don't really see the point of having the D and VP points to help, they're just basically lines that intersect in middle of the room and shoots out of the graph! But I need the image distance/objet distance before I can do anything.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Related to Calculating Image and Object Distance for Room Projection using D and VP Points

What is the best way to graph my data?

The best way to graph your data will depend on the type of data you have and the purpose of your graph. Some common types of graphs include bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts. Consider the relationship between your variables and choose the graph that best represents that relationship.

How do I choose the appropriate scale for my graph?

The scale of your graph should be chosen based on the range of your data. If your data has a wide range, you may need to use a larger scale to accurately represent it. However, if your data has a narrow range, a smaller scale may be more appropriate. It is also important to consider the increments on your scale and choose a value that best displays the data.

Do I need to include a title and labels on my graph?

Yes, it is important to include a clear and descriptive title for your graph as well as labels for the x and y axes. This will help the reader understand the purpose of the graph and the variables being represented. Additionally, including a legend if necessary can also help clarify any data sets or categories being shown.

What is the purpose of a trendline on a graph?

A trendline is used to show the general trend or pattern of the data. It can help identify any relationships between the variables and make predictions about future data points. Trendlines can also be used to compare data sets and determine the strength of the relationship between them.

How do I ensure my graph is visually appealing?

To make your graph visually appealing, make sure to use clear and easy-to-read fonts and colors. Avoid cluttering the graph with unnecessary data or decorations. It is also important to use consistent and appropriate units for the data being displayed. You can also use different styles or colors to distinguish between different data sets or categories, if applicable.