Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python How to Install the Basemap and the GEOS Library?

1. May 28, 2017 #1
    I have been following this procedure on installing the basemap and the GEOS library: https://matplotlib.org/basemap/users/installing.html

I have searched through other alternatives, but they seem to provide the same procedure. I need help on understanding the "Installation" process. I am using Python 3.6.1 on Windows 10.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Which part are you having trouble with?

4. May 28, 2017 #3
    I have trouble specifically on the third step, but I am not sure.

I have 'matplotlib' and 'numpy' installed in my Python, but I don't know how to install the 'PROJ4' item under the requirements (however, I did not see this item on other references), so I am not sure if I am already done on the first step of the 'Installation' process, i.e. "Install pre-requisite requirements.". I had downloaded the basemap-tar file and extracted it, and I guess the "cd to the basemap-X.Y.Z directory" means that I need to open a command prompt inside the directory of the basemap folder. The third step says "Install the GEOS library", but I don't know how. The step shows that I need the command prompt to be go inside the 'geos-3.3.3' folder, which I did and then 'export GEOS_DIR=</usr/local/>', but the command prompt doesn't seem to process this line, it just says that the syntax of the command is incorrect.

5. May 28, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't believe you're supposed to type the angle brackets or the quotes.

I would look to see if the GEOS library is already installed. If it is, you don't need to to the export step.

6. May 28, 2017 #5
    I also tried it without the brackets and it said that the 'export' syntax is undefined.

How do I know if it is installed?

7. May 29, 2017 #6
    This is a command to export an environment variable under Linux. Windows doesn't know this command. I'm not familiar with this modules, but it seems that you need a compiler for it.

With Windows it's often better to use this Scientific Python Distributions with their own package manager like Anaconda: https://anaconda.org/anaconda/basemap

8. Jun 12, 2017 #7
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted