How to integrate inverse functions?

In summary, the integration of inverse trigonometric functions, such as inverse tanx, can be solved using integration by parts. The acronym LIPET can be used to determine which function to use as u in the integration by parts formula. In some cases, it may also be helpful to use substitution.
KAS90
hi there.. I want to know how to integrate inverse trigonometric functions?like inverse tanx for example?
thanx a lot..I just want a brief explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

KAS90 said:
hi there.. I want to know how to integrate inverse trigonometric functions?like inverse tanx for example?
thanx a lot..I just want a brief explanation?

Hi KAS90! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You want dy/dx for y = tan-1x.

So rewrite it x = tany, dx = sec2y dy

so dy/dx = cos2y

and then convert that back to a function of x.

Same method for any inverse fucnction! :smile:

I thought he asked abt integration! :huh?

Hint: integrate by parts

tiny-tim said:
Hi KAS90! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You want dy/dx for y = tan-1x.

So rewrite it x = tany, dx = sec2y dy

so dy/dx = cos2y

and then convert that back to a function of x.

Same method for any inverse fucnction! :smile:

I think the OP wanted to integrate, not differentiate. In that case may I suggest integration by parts.

… oops!

d_leet said:
I think the OP wanted to integrate, not differentiate. In that case may I suggest integration by parts.

oops! :redface:

yes … integrate by parts (starting with xtan-1x) :smile:

hey tiny-tim!
I thank u first for ur fast response and willingness to help..:)
but yes, I want to know about the integration of inverse trig functions..
for example, the integration of xtan-1x will be solved using integration by parts.. the question is:
u=x
du=dx
dv=tan-1x dx
v=?
or shall i solve it the other way round..
u=tan-1x dx
dv=xdx?
I mean, is there really a definite integral for inverse trig functions?
Thanx again 2 u, da_vinci,d_leet...

Yes you should try it the other way around. You know that finding the antiderivative of an inverse trig function (which is the subject of this post) is going to be harder than finding that of a polynomial. Thus, it makes sense that you want u = tan-1x so you'll be taking the derivative of it when you integrate by parts.

I use the acronym LIPET where L stands for natural logarithm, I stands for inverse trig function, P stands for polynomial function, E stands for exponential function, and T stands for trignometric function. Basically the letter that comes first in the acronym takes precedence for determining what u should equal. Of course this won't always work but if you look at why it's in that order, it might be of use.

KAS90 said:
the integration of xtan-1x will be solved using integration by parts.. the question is:
u=x
du=dx
dv=tan-1x dx
v=?
or shall i solve it the other way round..
u=tan-1x dx
dv=xdx?
I mean, is there really a definite integral for inverse trig functions?
Thanx again 2 u, da_vinci,d_leet...

This is quite confusing pile of differentials. Use the formula

[tex]
D_x \textrm{tan}^{-1}x = \frac{1}{1+x^2}
[/tex]

to first calculate

[tex]
D_x\big(x\;\textrm{tan}^{-1}x\big) = \cdots
[/tex]

and then

[tex]
\int\limits_0^x \textrm{tan}^{-1}u\; du = \cdots
[/tex]

should start look like more easy.

hi snipez
yeah, that system is useful most of the time... but it's not the case all the time..
thanx for ur response..

hi jostpuur
I haven't tried yet the way u suggested..I solved it by taking u as tan-1 x..so ,
u=tan-1x
dv=xdx

and it worked after manipulating numbers!
Thanx a lot ..I'll try ur way too :)

hello somebody tell me how to intregate cos inverse x Dx

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrFvW1r2bTk9GA1D4AIu5dhpS0Onf7NO6yCJTORSxkNSBWZRIk.jpg

welcome to pf!

hello divyanshu9! welcome to pf! :smile:

make the obvious substitution :wink:

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the original function's actions, essentially reversing the input and output relationship. For example, if f(x) = 2x, the inverse function would be f-1(x) = x/2.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, switch the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the inverse function in terms of x. It is also important to check that the inverse function is valid by plugging in values and making sure the output and input are reversed.

3. What is the domain and range of an inverse function?

The domain and range of an inverse function are essentially switched from the original function. The domain of the inverse function will be the range of the original function, and the range of the inverse function will be the domain of the original function. This is because the input and output are reversed.

4. How do you graph an inverse function?

To graph an inverse function, you can use a technique called reflection. This involves reflecting the original function's graph over the line y=x. The resulting graph will be the inverse function. It is important to note that some functions may not have an inverse that is a function, in which case the graph will not exist.

5. How do you use inverse functions in real-life applications?

Inverse functions are commonly used in real-life applications, such as in finance and economics. They can be used to solve problems involving compound interest, supply and demand, and optimization. Inverse functions can also be used in physics to model motion and in computer science for encryption and decryption algorithms.