How to integrate the following equation

• Thread starter aerogurl2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the problem asks for the integration of (x^3)/(16-x^2)^(1/2) from 0 to 2 sqrt3. The student initially tried to use u-substitution but realized it was getting too complicated. Another student suggested using trigonometric substitution, specifically setting x = 4sin(theta). This simplifies the problem and makes it easier to integrate. The final solution is much neater and can be done in just two lines with some trig identities and algebra.
aerogurl2

Homework Statement

Hi, i don't really know how I should go about this question. please help me.

Question:
Integrate the following equation:
I = (integration sign from 0 to 2 sqrt3) (x^3)/(16-x^2)^(1/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to assign u and dv initially like this:

u = (16-x^2)^(1/2)
du = -(16-x^2)^(-1/2) dx

dv = x^3 dx
v = (1/4)(x^4)

so uv - (INT)vdu
= (1/4)(16-x^2)(x^4) + (1/4)(INT)(x^4)/(16-x^4)^(1/2) dx

but it gets more complicated because of x^4, if x^3 in the integration then i could have assigned it as I and then solve it easily, but i think i made a huge mistake somewhere to get it to be like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
With experience, you'll realize that a trigonometric substitution in the denominator works best in cases like these. A big clue is the sqrt(3) in the bounds, this is immediately reminiscent of special angle ratios like sin(pi/3), right?

Anyway, your first objective here is to get rid of the denominator by applying a trig sub. Try [tex]x = 4\sin{\theta}[/tex]. Simplify.

You'll be left with a cubed trig expression to integrate. Do that by parts ([tex]\sin^3{\theta} = \sin^2{\theta}\sin{\theta}[/tex]). It's not difficult, in fact, it can neatly be done in two lines with a little application of some trig identities and a little algebra.

Finally, don't sub x back into the final indefinite integral. Leave everything in terms of theta. Work out the values of theta that correspond to the bounds of the definite integral and evaluate. Much neater.

Last edited:
When you see a squareroot, trig substitution can look very tempting, but another method can shorten the work greatly.

For example...

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\int {\frac{{x^3 }}{{\sqrt {16 - x^2 } }}} dx \\
{\rm{let}}{\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} u = \sqrt {16 - x^2 } {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} \to x^2 = 16 - u^2 \\
du = \frac{{ - x}}{{\sqrt {16 - x^2 } }}dx \\
\int {\frac{{x^3 }}{{\sqrt {16 - x^2 } }}} dx = \int {\left( {u^2 - 16 } \right)} du \\
\end{array}

[/tex]

Last edited:
ChaoticLlama said:
When you see a squareroot, trig substitution can look very tempting, but another method can shorten the work greatly.

For example...

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\int {\frac{{x^3 }}{{\sqrt {16 - x^2 } }}} dx \\
{\rm{let}}{\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} u = \sqrt {16 - x^2 } {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} \to x^2 = 16 - u^2 \\
du = \frac{{ - x}}{{\sqrt {16 - x^2 } }}dx \\
\int {\frac{{x^3 }}{{\sqrt {16 - x^2 } }}} dx = \int {\left( {u^2 - 16 } \right)} du \\
\end{array}

[/tex]

Yes, that's a much neater method! :smile:

1. What is the process of integration?

The process of integration involves finding the antiderivative of a given function. This is done by reversing the process of differentiation, which involves finding the rate of change of a function. Integration allows us to find the area under a curve, among other applications.

2. How do I know which integration technique to use?

There are several integration techniques, including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The best technique to use depends on the form of the function you are trying to integrate. It may take some practice and familiarity with these techniques to determine which one to use.

3. Can all functions be integrated?

Unfortunately, not all functions can be integrated. Some functions do not have an antiderivative that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. These functions are called non-elementary functions and require advanced integration techniques, such as numerical integration, to solve.

4. How does integration relate to the area under a curve?

Integration allows us to find the area under a curve by calculating the definite integral of a function over a given interval. The definite integral is the signed area between the curve and the x-axis, and it represents the net change of the function over that interval.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for integration?

There are some common integration formulas and rules that can make the integration process easier. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and trigonometric identities. However, these shortcuts may not work for all functions, so it is important to understand the underlying principles of integration.