1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to interpret parametric equations

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Eliminate the parameter to find a description of the following circles or circular arc's in terms of x and y
    and find the center and radius and indicate the positive orientation

x=cos(t) , y = 3sin(t) ; 0< t < pi/2 (should be less than or equal to)

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure?

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I find t = arccos(x) I then plug it in y=3 sin(t) and I result in
    y= sqrt(9-x^2)

The book doesn't even give an answer for the equation part but it does tell me the origin, and radius and the
    orientation but I figured you could rewrite my equation to y^2 + x^2 = 9 and that tell me the radius of 3 (sqrt (9) right?) then the orgin is 0,0 because nothing it being done to the x and y

but here is what trips me up, how do they know it is the lower half of a circle going counter clockwise? I mean it has to do something with the t's but I just dont see it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. y2 + x2 = (3 sin(t))2 + (cos(t))2 = 9sin2(t) + cos2(t). Are you sure you wrote the problem correctly?
    Based on what you wrote in the problem description, your curve is not a circle.

4. Oct 24, 2014 #3
    I solved for t and pluged it in for x. Yes I am positive I wrote it down correctly.

5. Oct 24, 2014 #4
    I should probably mention this is a parametric equation? I am sure you are correct, I may have gotten the right answer by doing something incorrectly by coincidence. Not the first time ive done that :P

6. Oct 24, 2014 #5

Mark44

Please show what you did to get ##y = \sqrt{9 - x^2}##. Your mistake is in that work.

The parametric equations x = cos(t), y = 3sin(t) do NOT represent a circle.

7. Oct 24, 2014 #6
    To find the orientation, put t = 0 and t = pi/2 (or put more points if you'd like), and see which way you're going.

8. Oct 24, 2014 #7
    I want to apologize, I did type the equation incorrectly, it is 3cos(t). I was looking at the next problem it looks like when I typed it out, but my work was for this problem.

In that case is my work correct?

9. Oct 24, 2014 #8

Mark44

Instead of solving for t in one of the parametric equations, I would eliminate the parameter directly. Since (now) x = 3cos(t) and y = 3sin(t), x2 + y2 = ?

Keep in mind that ##0 \leq t \leq \pi/2##. As t increases from 0, what do the points on the curve do? What is the starting point (i.e., when t = 0)? What is the ending point (when t = ##\pi/2##)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted