How to [itex]\int{\frac{-2x+20}{2\sqrt{-x^2+20x}}}dx[/itex]

• Thread starter Ocata
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving the integral \int{\frac{-2x+20}{2\sqrt{-x^2+20x}}}dx. The suggested methods include completing the square in the denominator, using u-substitution, and using trigonometric substitution. The conversation also explores different ways to approach the problem, with one person suggesting a more efficient substitution. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of choosing the right method for solving integrals and the various options available.
Ocata
Hello,

What would be a good method, for a novice in integration, to solve this integral. I haven't done much integration, so this looks quite daunting. Would this be solvable with trig substitution by itself or would I need to employ partial fractions?

[itex]\int{\frac{-2x+20}{2\sqrt{-x^2+20x}}}dx[/itex]

If I complete the square in the denominator, I wonder if I could make it easier.

[itex]\int{\frac{-2x+20}{2\sqrt{-(x-10)^2-10}}}dx[/itex]

What would be a logical method?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a u-substitution.

Likes Ocata
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}[/itex]

Likes Ocata
Hi,

I found a similar example in the Stewart calculus book, chapter 7.3 example 7. I completed the square in the denominator, did u-substitution u=x-10, then trig substitution u= 10sin(theta).

The integratable term I arrived at was [itex] \int (-10sin(theta)) = 10cos(theta)[/itex]

Then I substituted back in the x terms to get [itex]y(x)=\sqrt{10^2 -(x-10)^2)} => ((x-10)^2)+y^2=10^2[/itex]

Which is a circle with radius 10 and I believe with center at the x-axis and left side passing through the origin.

I think this is correct as it is the equation I initially started out with and took the derivative of before integrating back.

(note: I apologize, I don't have the latex avalable on my phone. I did my best and will fix any errors when I get to a computer at school in a few hours.)

Ocata said:
Hi,

I found a similar example in the Stewart calculus book, chapter 7.3 example 7. I completed the square in the denominator, did u-substitution u=x-10, then trig substitution u= 10sin(theta).

The integratable term I arrived at was [itex] \int (-10sin(theta)) = 10cos(theta)[/itex]

Then I substituted back in the x terms to get [itex]y(x)=\sqrt{10^2 -(x-10)^2)} => ((x-10)^2)+y^2=10^2[/itex]

Which is a circle with radius 10 and I believe with center at the x-axis and left side passing through the origin.

I think this is correct as it is the equation I initially started out with and took the derivative of before integrating back.

(note: I apologize, I don't have the latex avalable on my phone. I did my best and will fix any errors when I get to a computer at school in a few hours.)
You over-complicated things a little bit, but nice job!

Likes Ocata
You can also use u-substitution as phion said##
\int\frac{-2x+20}{\sqrt{-x^2+20}}dx
##

As you can see

-2x+20 is derivative of -x^2+20

And if you substitute -x^2+20 with variable such as t, then the problem becomes simpler

##
t=-x^2+20x
##

##
\frac{d(t)}{dt} = \frac{d(-x^2+20x)}{dt}
##

##
1 = (-2x+20) \cdot \frac{dx}{dt}
##

##
dt = (-2x+20) \cdot dx
##

You can substitue ##(-2x+20) \cdot dx## with ##dt##
and ##-x^2+20## with ##t##

then

##
\int\frac{-2x+20}{\sqrt{-x^2+20}}dx
##

becomes

##
\int\frac{1}{2\sqrt{t}} dt
##

##
=\frac{1}{2}\int t^{-\frac{1}{2}} dt
##

##
=t^{\frac{1}{2}}
##

Likes Ocata
Thank you.

Wow, that was a much more efficient choice of substitution. There must be many choices for substituting in the integrand. Most of which are overly complicated and a few of which are more elegant. Thanks for shedding light on this topic.

Regards

1. How do I approach this type of integral?

When solving integrals involving square roots, it is helpful to first try to simplify the expression inside the square root. In this case, you can factor out a -2 from the numerator and denominator, and then completing the square in the denominator to get an expression of the form √(a^2-x^2). This can then be rewritten as a trigonometric function, such as sin or cos, using the substitution x = a sin θ or x = a cos θ.

2. Can I use the substitution method to solve this integral?

Yes, as mentioned before, you can use a trigonometric substitution to rewrite the expression in terms of a trigonometric function. This can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. How do I handle the negative sign in the numerator?

When the numerator of an integral contains a negative sign, you can pull it out of the integral and place it in front of the integral symbol. This will change the sign of the final answer.

4. Can I use any other methods to solve this integral?

Yes, you can also try using integration by parts or partial fractions to solve this integral. However, using trigonometric substitution is often the most efficient method for integrals involving square roots.

5. Do I need to worry about the constant of integration?

Yes, the constant of integration should always be included in the final answer when solving an indefinite integral. This is because the constant can affect the overall behavior of the function and is an essential part of the solution.