1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to lift water out of a pool

1. Jun 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    given, diameter and height of pool, depth of water, density of water and gravitational acceleration.
    g = 9.8
    height is 4m
    2r = 20m
    depth of water = 3.5m
    density =1000kg/m^3
    So, I'm supposed to find how much work is needed in joules to lift the water out of the pool.

2. Relevant equations
    could I use density times gravity times volume to get my force?
    is my distance for my water to travel 4.5m?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Anyways, I've tried to use my volume for the pool and the volume I have of water * density *gravity to come up with my force and then used 4.5m as my distance to come up with my work needed to lift water out of a pool. I ended up with 1.08E7 joules but that's incorrect so any help would be appreciated.

BTW, this is a cal 2 problem/integration problem

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2007 #2
    if it is a cal2/integration problem why aren't you doing any integration? do you know the formula for work?

4. Jun 5, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Use the volume of the water and the density to get mass. It would appear that the pool is a right circular cyliner.

Rasining a mass m some distance h in a gravity field producing a local acceleration g increases the potential energy by mgh.
    Yes

Well that depends, if one is lifting the CM of the pool water 4 m or (4 m + 1.75 m) or 5.75 m, which is 4 m from the top of the pool.

5. Jun 5, 2007 #4
    I've tried integrating it and I've tried astronuc's advice with no success, any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  6. Jun 5, 2007 #5
    I'm retarded, integration works. Alright, so with a mixture of the advice, correct answer is 2474002 joules. Thanks again fellas.

7. Jun 5, 2007 #6
    weight density = 9800 N/m^3

work = integral {0 to 3.5} (9800)(pi*10^2)(4 - y)dy

work = 2.4 * 10^7 Joules

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?