How to make a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions

• Thread starter jk22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary: That point will spin into a knotted circle in R4. The end points will spin into a pair of circles that are linked in R4.In summary, there are multiple ways to embed a closed two dimensional manifold in four dimensions. One way is to parametrize a 3 sphere with theta, phi, and chi and put chi equal to f(theta,phi). This creates a topological 2-sphere, also known as the Hopf fibration in Euclidean 4-space. Another method is to embed a 2-sphere as the equator of a 3-sphere, where the 3-sphere is embedded in 4 dimensions via (x1,x2,x3) --> (x
jk22
I want a closed two dimensional manifold embedded in four dimensions.

Is the following way a good one :

Parametrize a 3 sphere with $$\theta,\phi,\chi$$

Put $$\chi=f(\theta,\phi)$$

Does it make the manifold closed ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Euclidean 4-space, the solution to any quadratic in 3 variables will define a topological 2-sphere (times a line). If you want to obtain the 2-sphere as a submanifold of a 3-sphere, then the natural construction is called the Hopf fibration.

any closed 2 manifold embedded in 3 dimensions is already also wmbedded in 4 dimensions, so the usual 2 sphere in R^3 works, where R^3 is embedded in R^4 via (x1,x2,x3) --> (x1,x2,x3,0). So i don't know what you really mean.

the hopf fibration by the way is not an embedding of the 2 sohere into the 3 sphere but a fibration map from the 3 sphere onto the 2 sphere, with circles as fibers. The 2 sphere is easily embedded in the 3 sphere as its "equator".

mathwonk said:
any closed 2 manifold embedded in 3 dimensions is already also wmbedded in 4 dimensions, so the usual 2 sphere in R^3 works, where R^3 is embedded in R^4 via (x1,x2,x3) --> (x1,x2,x3,0). So i don't know what you really mean.

I imagined that there could be more possibilities in 4d like kind of 'knotted' spheres that we could not make in 3d.

like maybe take a knotted circle in 3 space and cone it off in two different directions in 4 space, joining its points to a single point in R^+ x 3 space, and also to a single point in R^- x 3 space? would that work?

Likes lavinia and jk22
If you didn't want any "trivial" cases of this, you always have the classic example of the Klein bottle, which is a compact 2-dimensional manifold embeddable in ##\mathbb{R}^4## but not ##\mathbb{R}^3##. Otherwise, mathwonks example is pretty neat.

Last edited:
i thought he wanted one homeomorphic to a 2 sphere, but i like the klein bottle.

Ah, well now I see the title.

For example a 2sphere in 4d could be given by the following embedding :

$$\phi=2\pi sin(u)sin(v)\\ \psi=\pi sin(u)cos(v) \\ \chi=\pi Cos(u) \\ w=sin(\phi)sin(\psi)sin(\chi) \\ x=sin(\phi)sin(\psi)cos(\chi)\\
Y=sin(\phi)cos(\psi)\\
Z=cos(\phi)$$

But i cannot visualize what it represents.

Btw i would like to write a c++ program to project 4d objects maybe a collaborative online work is possible. If any interested.

Another example, similar to the Klein bottle, is the projective plane. It can not be realized in 3 space but can in 4. What it and the Klein bottle have in common is that they are not orientable surfaces. It is a theorem that a compact surface without boundary( called a "closed surface") in 3 space must be orientable.

Orientability is a topological property of a surface. But there are also geometrical restrictions on a surface that can be realized in 3 space. For instance, a theorem of Hilbert says that a closed surface must have a point of positive Gauss curvature. So any closed surface of non-positive curvature e.g. the flat torus or a closed surface of constant negative curvature can not be realized in 3 space. However if you remove the restriction that the surface has no boundary then there are examples. For instance, the cylinder and the Mobius band are flat and the pseudosphere has constant negative curvature. Other examples can be found in Struik's book on classical differential geometry.

I wonder if one can put a geometry on a disk so that no open subset of it can be realized in 3 space.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
lavinia said:
Another example, similar to the Klein bottle, is the projective plane. It can not be realized in 3 space but can in 4. What it and the Klein bottle have in common is that they are not orientable surfaces. It is a theorem that a compact surface without boundary( called a "closed surface") in 3 space must be orientable.

Orientability is a topological property of a surface. But there are also geometrical restrictions on a surface that can be realized in 3 space. For instance, a theorem of Hilbert says that a closed surface must have a point of positive curvature. So any closed surface of non-positive curvature e.g. the flat torus or a closed surface of constant negative curvature can not be realized in 3 space. However if you remove the restriction that the surface has no boundary then there are examples. For instance, the cylinder and the Mobius band are flat and the pseudosphere has constant negative curvature. Other examples can be found in Struik's book on classical differential geometry.

I wonder if one can put a geometry on a disk so that no open subset of it can be realized in 3 space.

By a geometry you mean a choice of Riemannian metric?

WWGD said:
By a geometry you mean a choice of Riemannian metric?

yes

mathwonk said:
like maybe take a knotted circle in 3 space and cone it off in two different directions in 4 space, joining its points to a single point in R^+ x 3 space, and also to a single point in R^- x 3 space? would that work?

Mathwonk's example answers your question by showing how a topological 2 sphere can be knotted in 4 space. By knotted one means much the same thing as a knotted string in 3 space. Clearly a sphere can not be knotted in 3 space. His example is called a suspension knot since it is an embedding of the suspension of a knotted 1 sphere.

There are other ways to start with knotted strings to get knotted spheres in 4 space. For instance, tie a knot in an open string and place it in the upper half space of R3 with its end points touching the boundary 2 plane. In R4, rotate the half space around the bounding plane. The result is a knotted 2 sphere in R4.

To picture this think of spinning a half plane in R3 around its edge line. A point in the half plane will spin to become a circle. Similarly each point in the knotted string will spin into a circle in R4 except the two end points since they are anchored to the edge plane which is stationary. This shows that the spun knot is a 2 sphere. These knotted spheres are called spin knots.

A third method is to allow the knot to twist around as it spins.

- One may ask the question of when are two knots are essentially the same. For instance, two unknotted strings with different shapes could be thought of as equivalent but an unknotted string and a knotted one are not. Similarly there is an idea of an unknotted 2 sphere in 4 space. There is a rich theory that deals with this question. It applies not only to two spheres in 4 space but to all dimensions. There are amazing examples of non-trivially knotted spheres in 4 space.

- Here is a weird example. Take a knot that has infinitely many knotted loops and then apply Mathwonk's construction.

Last edited:
jk22 said:
I imagined that there could be more possibilities in 4d like kind of 'knotted' spheres that we could not make in 3d.
I think in general knotedness (for any object, not just for spheres) is necessarily a codimension-2 issue.

jk22 said:
I want a closed two dimensional manifold embedded in four dimensions.

Is the following way a good one :

Parametrize a 3 sphere with $$\theta,\phi,\chi$$

Put $$\chi=f(\theta,\phi)$$

Does it make the manifold closed ?

I see, so you are trying to use a version of implicit/inverse function theorem? Then, yes, if you find a regular point , then the inverse is a submanifold.

fzero said:
In Euclidean 4-space, the solution to any quadratic in 3 variables will define a topological 2-sphere (times a line). If you want to obtain the 2-sphere as a submanifold of a 3-sphere, then the natural construction is called the Hopf fibration.

This isn't right. The Hopf fibration does not involve the 2-sphere as a submanifold of the 3-sphere. The 2-sphere in the Hopf fibration is what becomes of the 3-sphere when each fibre (which is a circle) is collapsed to a point. Which makes the 2-sphere the base space of this fibre bundle.

And I think Hopf Fibration also gives an example of a non-trivial class of higher ##\pi_n## for general spheres, i.e., ## S^m ##s, specifically, the map is a non-trivial element of ##\pi_3 (S^2) ##.

lavinia said:
. . .
. . .

Great question. After a bit of web searching . . . it apparently turns out the answer is not always if the metric is smooth (by which I mean C; see http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0208127.pdf). But always if the metric is real-analytic (Lewy H (1938) On the existence of a closed convex surface realizing a given Riemannian metric. Proc Natl Acad Sci 24:104–106).

zinq said:
Great question. After a bit of web searching . . . it apparently turns out the answer is not always if the metric is smooth (by which I mean C; see http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0208127.pdf). But always if the metric is real-analytic (Lewy H (1938) On the existence of a closed convex surface realizing a given Riemannian metric. Proc Natl Acad Sci 24:104–106).
very cool. i haven't read the paper yet but the theorems seem amazing.

The papers require a great deal of knowledge (especially about PDEs) that I don't have.

On second thought, it looks as if that 1938 paper I cited covers only the case of a convex surface. But I read somewhere else that it's always true in the real-analytic case.

zinq said:
... Then if M and N are topologically equivalent manifolds, there must be a homeomorphism h: M —> N. This implies that for any point p of M, the relative homology groups Hk(M,M-p) and Hk(N,N-h(p)) are isomorphic.

If the dimensions dim(M) and dim(N) were not equal, let's assume, without loss of generality, that d = dim(M) > dim(N). It can be shown that for any manifold M of dimension d, the relative group Hd(M,M-p) is isomorphic to the group ℤ of integers. It can also be shown that for any manifold N with d greater than the dimension of N, the homology group Hd(N,N-q) is the trivial group {0}, where q is any point of N.

But if M and N were homeomorphic they would have isomorphic relative groups. Since they do not, this shows that any two manifolds of unequal dimensions cannot be homeomorphic.

It is worth elaborating this method of proof since it shows the power of homology theory.

If M is any manifold then by definition any point,p, in M has a neighborhood homeomorphic to an open ball,A, in Rn. By the excision axiom of homology

Hq(M,M-p) = Hq(M-(M-A), (M-p) - (M-A)) = Hq(A,A-p) for all dimensions,q.

A is contractible so its homology is zero in all dimensions except dimension 0.
A-p deforms onto a n-1 sphere so its homology is zero in all dimensions except 0 and n-1. In dimension n-1 its homology(with Z coefficients) is Z.

By the exact sequence of this pair one gets

... Hq(A) -> Hq(A,A-p) -> Hq-1(A-p) -> Hq-1(A) ...

Since A is contractible this is

0 -> Hq(A,A-p) -> Hq-1(A-p) -> 0 for q>1

For q = n, the dimension of the manifold, the sequence is

0 -> Hn(A,A-p) -> Z ->0 so Hn(A,A-p) = Z.

In the other dimensions (except 1) the sequence is

0 -> Hq(A,A-p) -> 0 ->0 so Hq(A,A-p) = 0.

In dimension 1 the sequence is

0 -> H1(A,A-p) -> H0(A-p) -> H0(A) and the last arrow on the right is an isomorphism.This is an example of the power of homology theory. Difficult theorems are reduced to simple calculations. Another example is the homology proof of Brouwer's Fixed Point Theorem. A difficult analytical proof was discovered much later by Milnor.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is a 2-sphere?

A 2-sphere, also known as a 2-dimensional sphere or a 2-sphere, is a mathematical shape that represents the surface of a three-dimensional ball. It is a closed, continuous surface with no edges or corners.

2. How do you make a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions?

To make a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions, you would need to use mathematical principles from the field of geometry. This can be done by starting with a three-dimensional sphere and then adding an additional dimension, known as the "w" dimension. This would result in a 4-dimensional sphere, or a 4-sphere, which can then be projected onto a 3-dimensional space to create a 2-sphere.

3. What are the applications of a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions?

A 2-sphere in 4 dimensions has applications in various fields of mathematics, physics, and computer science. It can be used to study higher dimensional spaces and has applications in understanding the structure of the universe, as well as in computer graphics and modeling.

4. Is it possible to visualize a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions?

It can be difficult to visualize a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions, as our brains are not used to perceiving more than three dimensions. However, there are mathematical techniques and visualizations that can help us understand the properties of a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions.

5. Can a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions exist in the physical world?

While we can mathematically describe and visualize a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions, it is not possible for it to exist in our physical world. Our universe is made up of three spatial dimensions, and a fourth dimension is purely theoretical. However, the concepts and applications of a 2-sphere in 4 dimensions can still be useful in understanding the world around us.