1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make an experiment to find the value of the Drag Coefficient of a Cone?

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    How can I design an experiment to find the drag coefficient of a cone without knowing the force of drag that is acting on the cone? Is this even possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I'm not sure what coefficient you want to find. Perhaps the k in F = kv, where v is the speed of the cone? Yes, I think you must measure F. I am thinking of a wind tunnel with the cone hanging into it. It would be attached to a pivot above the wind flow and a spring above or below the pivot would hold it in place but the spring would compress when there is a force on the cone. Maybe use a calibrated spring force scale as the spring so you can just read off the force in Newtons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook