How can I show the drag force-velocity relationship of a shuttlecock from my recorded trajectories?

• Thread starter qumbo19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag force
qumbo19
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
For a school project, I’m looking at modelling the vertical trajectory of a shuttlecock. I have several videos of trajectories, along with velocity and position data from LoggerPro. I’m aware that for a shuttlecock, the drag force is proportional to velocity squared, but is it possible for me to show this from my trajectory data?

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference between the rate shuttlecock decelerates and the expected rate due to gravity will be due to drag. You might also find motion history image useful.

qumbo19 said:
For a school project, I’m looking at modelling the vertical trajectory of a shuttlecock. I have several videos of trajectories, along with velocity and position data from LoggerPro. I’m aware that for a shuttlecock, the drag force is proportional to velocity squared,
Sez who?

Plus, the drag behavior is going to be anisotropic, depending on the angle of the relative velocity with respect to the axis.

qumbo19 said:
For a school project, I’m looking at modelling the vertical trajectory of a shuttlecock. I have several videos of trajectories, along with velocity and position data from LoggerPro. I’m aware that for a shuttlecock, the drag force is proportional to velocity squared, but is it possible for me to show this from my trajectory data?
By "vertical trajectory", do you mean that the trajectory is purely vertical in your experiment or that you are modelling the vertical component? If the latter, you need to realise that the horizontal and vertical motions cannot be decoupled under quadratic drag. The greater the horizontal velocity, the greater the total drag force, and the greater the vertical component of the drag.

Whether the drag is approximately quadratic depends on the speed. At low speeds it is closer to linear, and in that phase the horizontal and vertical motions can be decoupled. You might be able to detect the transition in your data.

Likes vanhees71
haruspex said:
By "vertical trajectory", do you mean that the trajectory is purely vertical in your experiment or that you are modelling the vertical component? If the latter, you need to realise that the horizontal and vertical motions cannot be decoupled under quadratic drag. The greater the horizontal velocity, the greater the total drag force, and the greater the vertical component of the drag.

Whether the drag is approximately quadratic depends on the speed. At low speeds it is closer to linear, and in that phase the horizontal and vertical motions can be decoupled. You might be able to detect the transition in your data.
I mean the vertical component, not just dropping a shuttlecock vertically. Is it not possible to get some reasonable approximation for the vertical component of the trajectory? I managed to get the velocity time by integrating -mg-bv^2 = ma. Is this not a valid approach?

qumbo19 said:
I mean the vertical component, not just dropping a shuttlecock vertically. Is it not possible to get some reasonable approximation for the vertical component of the trajectory? I managed to get the velocity time by integrating -mg-bv^2 = ma. Is this not a valid approach?
No.
Suppose at some point the trajectory is down, at ##\theta## to the vertical, speed v.
The drag force is ##bv^2##, upward at ##\theta## to the vertical.
The vertical component of that is ##bv^2\cos(\theta)##, leading to ##m\frac{d(v\cos(\theta))}{dt}=mg-bv^2\cos(\theta)##.
Or, in terms of the velocity components, ##m\frac{d(v_y)}{dt}=mg-bv_y\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}##.
Note, e.g., that if the horizontal component is large enough then the downward velocity diminishes instead of increasing.

Likes Chestermiller
qumbo19 said:
Hm, for a full solution I'd rather numerically integrate the equations of motion. I guess a realistic description of a shuttlecock is pretty difficult. It's easier for a baseball or golf ball. There you can have all kinds of sophistication like taking into account spind and the Magnus effect :-).

1. What is the drag force-velocity relationship of a shuttlecock?

The drag force-velocity relationship of a shuttlecock refers to the relationship between the drag force acting on the shuttlecock and its velocity. It describes how the drag force changes as the shuttlecock moves through the air at different velocities.

2. Why is it important to show this relationship?

Understanding the drag force-velocity relationship of a shuttlecock is important in analyzing its flight characteristics. It can help in designing more efficient shuttlecocks for different playing conditions and can also provide insights into the physics of shuttlecock flight.

3. How can I measure the drag force-velocity relationship of a shuttlecock?

The most common method is to record the trajectories of the shuttlecock using high-speed cameras and then analyze the data to calculate the drag force at different velocities. This can be done in a controlled environment, such as a wind tunnel, or during actual gameplay.

4. What factors can affect the drag force-velocity relationship of a shuttlecock?

The drag force-velocity relationship of a shuttlecock can be influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the shuttlecock, its weight, the air density, and the speed and direction of the shuttlecock's motion. These factors can vary depending on the playing conditions and can affect the shuttlecock's flight path.

5. How can I use the drag force-velocity relationship to improve my game?

By understanding the drag force-velocity relationship of a shuttlecock, players can make more informed decisions about their shots. For example, they can adjust their swing speed or angle to optimize the shuttlecock's flight path and improve their accuracy and control. Coaches and equipment manufacturers can also use this information to develop training programs and design better shuttlecocks for competitive play.