Can increasing voltage or changing the motor size help maximize servo torque?

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to increase the torque of servo motors without changing their size. Suggestions include using a larger motor with more windings, increasing the voltage, or changing the gear ratio. However, it is noted that there may not be enough room inside a standard size servo for a bigger motor. The application for this discussion is a robotic arm that needs to lift more weight. It is also mentioned that decreasing the speed of lift could increase the force, and that increasing the voltage would require thicker wires and may put more strain on the controller.
kolleamm
I'm thinking of ways I could increase the torque on my servo motors without changing the overall size too much. So far the only idea that comes to mind is replacing the small motor that drives it with a slightly bigger motor that has more windings, would that help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
So far the only idea that comes to mind is replacing the small motor that drives it with a slightly bigger motor that has more windings, would that help?
Voltage and RPM determine number of turns needed.
Torque is proportional to current * turns.
For the same voltage and RPM, you keep the same number of turns, but for more torque you need more current, so you simply need thicker wires to carry the extra current.

Alternatively, change the gear ratio, reduce the speed to increase the torque.

Likes kolleamm
What kind of servo?
What application?

Lnewqban said:
What kind of servo?
What application?
Its for a robotic arm(uses standard sized servos). I just want to see how I could get it to lift more.

kolleamm said:
Its for a robotic arm(uses standard sized servos). I just want to see how I could get it to lift more.
You may not find enough room inside the case of a standard size servo for a bigger motor.
If the speed of lift can be decreased, the force of it could be increased via external mechanism with increased mechanical advantage.
Another way could be increasing the supplied voltage, if 4.8 volts is used now.
Consider that the wires and controller would be standing higher values of current in that case.

1. How does the gear ratio affect servo torque?

The gear ratio directly affects servo torque. A higher gear ratio means that the servo motor can produce more torque, while a lower gear ratio means less torque. This is because a higher gear ratio allows the motor to turn more times for each rotation of the output shaft, resulting in more torque being produced.

2. Can I increase servo torque by increasing the voltage?

Yes, increasing the voltage can increase servo torque. However, this should be done with caution as it can also damage the servo motor. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications and recommendations before increasing the voltage.

3. What is the effect of the servo motor's size on torque?

The size of the servo motor does not necessarily determine its torque. Other factors such as the gear ratio and voltage also play a significant role. However, in general, larger servo motors tend to have higher torque capabilities.

4. How can I improve servo torque without changing the gear ratio or voltage?

One way to improve servo torque is by using a higher-quality servo motor. Higher-quality motors tend to have better internal components and can produce more torque. Additionally, properly lubricating the gears and reducing friction can also improve torque.

5. Is there a limit to how much torque a servo motor can produce?

Yes, there is a limit to how much torque a servo motor can produce. This limit is determined by the motor's internal components and construction. Exceeding the maximum torque can damage the motor, so it is important to check the manufacturer's specifications and not exceed the recommended torque.