How to maximize servo torque?

• Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
I'm thinking of ways I could increase the torque on my servo motors without changing the overall size too much. So far the only idea that comes to mind is replacing the small motor that drives it with a slightly bigger motor that has more windings, would that help?

Answers and Replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
So far the only idea that comes to mind is replacing the small motor that drives it with a slightly bigger motor that has more windings, would that help?
Voltage and RPM determine number of turns needed.
Torque is proportional to current * turns.
For the same voltage and RPM, you keep the same number of turns, but for more torque you need more current, so you simply need thicker wires to carry the extra current.

Alternatively, change the gear ratio, reduce the speed to increase the torque.

Lnewqban
Gold Member
What kind of servo?
What application?

What kind of servo?
What application?
Its for a robotic arm(uses standard sized servos). I just wanna see how I could get it to lift more.

Lnewqban
Gold Member
Its for a robotic arm(uses standard sized servos). I just wanna see how I could get it to lift more.
You may not find enough room inside the case of a standard size servo for a bigger motor.
If the speed of lift can be decreased, the force of it could be increased via external mechanism with increased mechanical advantage.
Another way could be increasing the supplied voltage, if 4.8 volts is used now.
Consider that the wires and controller would be standing higher values of current in that case.