How to measure refractive index of plastic

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
Curl
Messages
756
Reaction score
0
I have a plastic disk 0.5" in diameter whose radius of refraction is supposedly non-uniform. It will vary by 0.015 at most from the center to the outside.

I need to come up with some method of measuring the refractive index locally. I have access to:
helium neon laser
a photodetector and software
optical table with moving mounts
CNC machine shop
lots of plastic/glass

Every way I try seems to not work very well. I'll need some ideas from someone experienced please.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know if this is too difficult to pull off?
 
Have you tried to measure Brewster's angle using very narrow laser beam pointing at small spot on your disc?
 
I'll try it.
But the angle doesn't seem to change significantly if the index varies by, say 0.002 which is the precision I desire.
 
If your disk has well defined thickness of about 1mm (with accuracy of the same order as you require), you may build an interferometer with disc in one arm.

Other idea:
If its thickness is about 1mm, such change in refr.index makes it a lens of focal length of about 1m. You may easily measure that.
Then use reflected light t0 check if both surfaces are really flat.
 
Can you tell me a little more about the second idea? I need to find refractive index n as a function of radius n(r). Do I measure the focal length of said "lens" or what? I'm not sure I'm understanding.