How to never make a mistake with the object of a verb?

• Thread starter Hall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to improve one's understanding and usage of verbs and their objects. The idea of learning all the verbs in each category is deemed ineffective, and relying on general knowledge is also not recommended. The conversation also mentions using Grammarly as a tool to help with writing, but it is important to note that it is not a substitute for learning proper grammar rules. Ultimately, the best way to improve is to read well-written materials and have one's writing corrected by a good teacher.
Hall
What can I do so as to never make a mistake regarding the object of a verb, that is whether the verb will take an object or not (transitive/intransitive) and if it takes then how many are allowed?

Learning all the verbs in each category doesn’t seem to be a very good idea. General knowledge also doesn’t work, for example “contend for” is an intransitive verb. I think the advice “read a lot” doesn’t have any proper limitation for producing a deterministic result.

Do you make mistakes with objects of verbs as a native speaker?

Science news on Phys.org
Usually, native speakers have many sentence patterns and word examples stored away and seldom make these mistakes. I recall Latin being a complicated language with all its conjugations, declensions, and exceptions to learn but to a native speaker, it would not be a problem.

What language are we talking about?

Likes Hall
jedishrfu said:
What language are we talking about?
English.

Some people on internet English forums use softwares which automatically detect for transitive/intransitive verb and finds out the mistakes on a given post.

My aim is not that. Newspaper reviewers/editors don’t usually correct the mistakes of incoming articles, as the articles are written by men-of-knowledge themselves, they just change the unusual things into a style which is currently prevailing. My aim is ,also, not to conform to the most accepted style.

I want to achieve the accuracy of English (as a language not people) novelists/poets, say, for example Oscar Wilde or Robert Browning. As you might have been reading my posts you have got an idea that I need not to begin from very basic, yet I’m confused where to start; I cannot read school level grammar books, they work better than melatonin for me.

What do you recommend?

How about using Grammarly?

It has a monthly charge and you should note that it needs the internet to work and upload your writing to analyze it and return its suggestions.

I use it now, and it helps me compose posts, and I am a native English speaker. Sometimes, I don't agree with its suggestions, but in general, it finds mistakes or overly wordy phrases that I occasionally use.

Hall said:
What can I do so as to never make a mistake regarding the object of a verb, that is whether the verb will take an object or not (transitive/intransitive) and if it takes then how many are allowed?
Look it up in a good dictionary appropriate to the language, for example Merriam Webster for American English, Cambridge for British English. Read the examples.

Hall said:
General knowledge also doesn’t work, for example “contend for” is an intransitive verb.
No it isn't: "contend for" is not a phrasal verb. "Contend" is the verb alone, and it can be transitive or intransitive: in the sentence "I contend for the title" it is intransitive but in the sentence "They contend that they were correct" it is transitive ("that they were correct" is the object).

Hall said:
No, this is an obvious sign of a non-native speaker.

Likes tech99 and jedishrfu
Hall said:
What do you recommend?
Writing prose and having it corrected by a good teacher - see below.

Reading well-written non-fiction, particularly well-written newspapers (e.g. The Times in the UK, New York Times in the US) and journals (e.g. The Economist, Time).

I'm going to correct just one paragraph of your post below:
Hall said:
Some people on internet English forums use softwares software [software is uncountable: it never takes an 's'] which automatically detects for [detect is transitive: it is not followed by "for"] transitive/intransitive verb verbs [there will be more than one verb to detect!] and finds out [software finds the mistakes, it does not find out [about] the mistakes] the mistakes on in a given post.

In relation to this comment:
Hall said:
My aim is, also, not to conform to the most accepted style.
I will say something that has been said before on PhysicsForums in a different context: in order to think outside the box you first have to learn what is in the box.

Dear @pbuk

Asking as a cat with very few lives left, would that be an open box or a closed box?

Signed,
Schrodinger's Cat

Hall said:

Learning all the verbs in each category doesn’t seem to be a very good idea. General knowledge also doesn’t work, for example “contend for” is an intransitive verb. I think the advice “read a lot” doesn’t have any proper limitation for producing a deterministic result.

Exactly what you want is still in need of better explanation. Maybe you are trying to distinguish between Direct Object and Indirect Object. Easy enough for the Langauge experts to explain, if this is what you want to understand.

Hall said:
Can you give some specific examples of these mistakes?

As a native speaker and writer of English, I learned mostly by imitation when I was a child, and by reading a lot of well-written material (newspapers, magazines, etc.). Formal rules-based instruction in school only codified and sharpened that knowledge a bit.

I suspect that what you're asking may simply need to be memorized on a verb-by-verb basis, or internalized by reading many examples. As an analogy, when I was learning German, I had to learn the grammatical gender of nouns, and therefore e.g. which article to use with them (der, die, das), either by rote (memorizing lists in textbooks, using little flash-cards, etc.) or by "absorbing" them after seeing the same words repeatedly while reading. One can reliably infer the gender for certain categories of nouns, but they're far from universal.

Likes Hall
symbolipoint said:
Maybe you are trying to distinguish between Direct Object and Indirect Object.
I don't think so. From the context of the OP's posts, it seems to me that the concern is with transitive verbs (which take direct objects) vs. intransitive verbs.

What can be confusing to non-native speakers of English is that there are lots of verbs that can be used transitively or intransitively. For example:
The children played outside. (Intrans.)
The girl played her guitar. (Trans.)

The doors close at 9 pm. (Intrans.)
At 9 pm, the owners close the doors. (Trans.)

Whereas some languages have more distinct intransitive/transitive verb pairs. I changed your example slightly to make the two versions more alike:

English:
The doors close at 9 pm.
The owners close the doors at 9 pm.

Finnish:
Ovet sulkeutuvat klo 21.
Omistajat sulkevat ovet klo 21.
["klo" is the standard abbreviation for "kello" = "clock" when giving specific times]

However, in German the two verbs are the same:
Die Türen schließen um 21 Uhr.
Die Besitzer schließen die Türen um 21 Uhr.

Likes Hall
jtbell said:

As a native speaker and writer of English, I learned mostly by imitation when I was a child, and by reading a lot of well-written material (newspapers, magazines, etc.). Formal rules-based instruction in school only codified and sharpened that knowledge a bit.

I suspect that what you're asking may simply need to be memorized on a verb-by-verb basis, or internalized by reading many examples. As an analogy, when I was learning German, I had to learn the grammatical gender of nouns, and therefore e.g. which article to use with them (der, die, das), either by rote (memorizing lists in textbooks, using little flash-cards, etc.) or by "absorbing" them after seeing the same words repeatedly while reading. One can reliably infer the gender for certain categories of nouns, but they're far from universal.
It is quite surprising that you know three very different languages.

I'm looking for a software, as @jedishrfu has suggested for Grammarly butt as I have began using it I haven't found it very competent, I need a little more rigorous software.

jtbell said:
Once I wrote "Can someone suggest another term for 'social fact'?" and I was pointed out that I had given two objects to the verb "suggest", but according to grammar it can take only one object. The exact remark was:
You have a grammatical mistake in your question. You cannot use suggest with an indirect object in standard English. It does not work like take, bring, ask. It is monotransitive not ditransitive, so it can only take a single object. If you to indicate a beneficiary or recipient, you must use a prepositional phrase to do so, not an indirect object. You should really suggest that to Susan

Hall said:
I'm looking for a software, as @jedishrfu has suggested for Grammarly butt as I have began using it I haven't found it very competent, I need a little more rigorous software.
I am not a fan of Grammarly but it did OK on that sentence, finding two out of the four errors. At an error rate of one per eight words I really don't think you are in a position to judge the competence of software.

Hall said:
Once I wrote "Can someone suggest another term for 'social fact'?" and I was pointed out that I had given two objects to the verb "suggest", but according to grammar it can take only one object. The exact remark was:
There is nothing wrong with "can someone suggest another term for 'social fact'?".

I suspect that what you actually wrote was "can someone suggest me another term for 'social fact'?", and the problem with that is not that you have too many objects; it is that "suggest" cannot be used with an indirect object. "Can someone suggest me?" is equally wrong (unless it is you that is actually being suggested, perhaps as a candidate for a prize). A better way to write this is "can someone suggest to me another term for 'social fact'?", and perhaps even better "can someone suggest another term for 'social fact' to me?".

Note that other verbs such as "give" can be used with one indirect object when they are used ditransitively: "can someone give me another term for 'social fact'?" is correct. This is very subtle, for example "donate" is almost a synonym of "give" but whereas you can say "he gave Water Aid a generous sum" you must say "he donated a generous sum to Water Aid".

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. How can I avoid making mistakes with the object of a verb?

The best way to avoid mistakes with the object of a verb is to carefully read and understand the sentence structure. Make sure the verb and its object agree in terms of tense, number, and person. Also, pay attention to prepositions and word order to ensure the correct object is being used.

2. Why is it important to be careful with the object of a verb?

Mistakes with the object of a verb can change the meaning of a sentence or make it grammatically incorrect. This can lead to confusion and miscommunication, especially in written communication. It is important to be careful with the object of a verb to ensure clear and accurate communication.

3. What are some common mistakes people make with the object of a verb?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong verb form, using the wrong preposition, or using the wrong word order. For example, saying "I go to the store" instead of "I go to the storeS" or "I go to the store WITH my friend" instead of "I go to the store WITH my friendS". Another common mistake is using the wrong pronoun as the object, such as saying "Her and I went to the park" instead of "She and I went to the park".

4. How can I improve my skills in using the object of a verb?

Practice is key to improving your skills in using the object of a verb. Read and write in the language you are learning, and pay attention to how verbs and their objects are used in different contexts. You can also seek feedback from a teacher or native speaker to help identify and correct any mistakes you may be making.

5. Are there any resources that can help me learn how to use the object of a verb correctly?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn how to use the object of a verb correctly. You can find grammar books, online tutorials, and language learning apps that provide explanations and practice exercises. You can also join language learning forums or classes to get feedback and guidance from other learners and teachers.