How to obtain the I-V characterisation curve of a-Si solar cell?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in obtaining the I-V characterisation curve of a a-Si solar cell with the use of a Keithley's 2636A Sourcemeter and a Philips PL E-C 11W bulb. It is mentioned that a regular tungsten bulb is not an ideal light source for PV testing and a variable load is needed to develop the V-i curve. The MPP can be determined by plotting voltage x current and applying a curve fit.
feel luck
How to obtain the I-V characterisation curve of a-Si solar cell??

Hi guys,

I am currently doing a university project on the reliability studies of a a-Si thin-film solar cell with specs of 3V@25mA. However, I am stuck at the first step, which requires me to obtain the I-V characterisation curve to derive the parameters of Isc,Voc and Pmax. My lab has a Keithley's 2636A Sourcemeter, which I am having trouble to operate. I am using a Philips PL E-C 11W bulb to illuminate my solar cells as the previous Philips 100W tungsten bulb was melting the encapsulation of the solar cell. Both bulbs also did not manage to produce the standard I-V curve of a solar cell.

Is there anyone who is using the Keithley's 2636A sourcemeter and knows how to obtain the I-V characterisation curve of a solar cell with the TSP-link software?

If not, are there any other simpler ways to obtain the I-V curve of the 3V@25mA solar cell?

Thanks in advance.

feel luck

Engineering news on Phys.org

A regular tungsten bulb is a terrible light source for PV testing since they are designed to operate with sunlight. Sunlight and your bulb have two very different emission spectrums so your current set up will not yield the actual performance of the PV cell.

In order to develop your V-i curve you need a variable load. Something that will go from open circuit to a complete short of the cell and everything in between. You step your load in fixed increments and record your voltage and current over time. You then average that data at each step and plot it to get your V-i curve.

To determine your MPP (maximum power point) you plot "voltage x current" and apply a curve fit to that curve. Then differentiate that curve and set it equal to zero, then solve for current density. That current density is the point with greatest power. Plug that value back into your equation for your power curve fit and you will then have your maximum power.

Hello,

Obtaining the I-V characterisation curve of a a-Si solar cell is an important step in understanding the performance and parameters of the cell. The best way to obtain this curve is by using a source meter, such as the Keithley's 2636A Sourcemeter, which you mentioned. However, it seems like you are having trouble operating it and obtaining the standard I-V curve.

I would suggest reaching out to the manufacturer or looking for online resources for the TSP-link software to properly operate the sourcemeter and obtain the I-V curve. Additionally, you may want to check if the sourcemeter is compatible with the Philips PL E-C 11W bulb that you are using for illumination.

If you are unable to obtain the curve with the sourcemeter, there are other methods that can be used. One option is to use a solar simulator, which can provide a controlled and standardized light source for the cell. Another option is to use a multimeter to measure the current and voltage of the cell under different light intensities and plot the I-V curve manually.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

1. How do I set up the equipment to obtain the I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell?

To obtain the I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell, you will need a solar simulator, a current-voltage (I-V) measurement system, and a dark box. The solar simulator provides a controlled light source for the solar cell, while the I-V measurement system measures the current and voltage output of the solar cell. The dark box ensures that the measurements are not affected by ambient light.

2. What is the procedure for obtaining the I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell?

The procedure for obtaining the I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell involves varying the light intensity from the solar simulator and measuring the corresponding current and voltage outputs of the solar cell. The data points are then plotted on an I-V curve, which shows the relationship between the current and voltage at different light intensities.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell, including the stability of the light source, the temperature of the solar cell, and the quality of the electrical connections. It is important to properly calibrate and maintain the equipment and ensure that the solar cell is in a stable and controlled environment.

4. How can I interpret the I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell?

The I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell provides important information about its performance. The shape of the curve can indicate the efficiency, fill factor, and series and shunt resistances of the solar cell. By analyzing the curve, you can determine the maximum power output of the solar cell and its overall performance under different light intensities.

5. How can I use the I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell for further analysis?

The I-V characterisation curve of an a-Si solar cell can be used for further analysis to optimize its performance. By comparing the curve to theoretical models, you can identify any potential issues or areas for improvement in the solar cell. The curve can also be used to evaluate the effects of different materials, structures, or processing techniques on the performance of the solar cell.