1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to parameterize solid of revolution?

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the surface I need to parameterize. It is a solid of revolution.

58wDQ.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So since its a piecewise function, I can define it as follows

(x-2)^2 + z^2 = 1, 1<x<2
    z = -x+3, 2<x<3
    z = x-3, 2<x<3

I know the formula for the area for a solid of revolution, but how do I parameterize this surface and then use that to calculate the surface area? I'm lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll show you how to parameterize one piece. That should get you started. I would express the circular arc like this:$$
    x=2+\cos\theta,\ z = \sin\theta,\ \frac \pi 2\le \theta\le\frac{3\pi} 2$$Now if you rotate that about the z axis, that will change the ##x## and ##y## values:$$
    x=(2+\cos\theta)\cos\alpha,\ y=(2+\cos\theta)\sin\alpha,\ z=\sin\theta$$Now if you let ##\alpha## very from ##0## to ##2\pi##, that will get the curved portion.

That's the general method. But if you don't have to do it that way, a probably simpler method would be to just rotate the ds arc elements around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook