How to parameterize solid of revolution?

In summary, the conversation is about parameterizing a surface that is a solid of revolution and using that to calculate the surface area. The formula for the area of a solid of revolution is mentioned, and one piece of the surface is parameterized using circular arc equations. Another method of rotating the ds arc elements is also suggested.
Kuma

Homework Statement

Here is the surface I need to parameterize. It is a solid of revolution.

58wDQ.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So since its a piecewise function, I can define it as follows

(x-2)^2 + z^2 = 1, 1<x<2
z = -x+3, 2<x<3
z = x-3, 2<x<3

I know the formula for the area for a solid of revolution, but how do I parameterize this surface and then use that to calculate the surface area? I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll show you how to parameterize one piece. That should get you started. I would express the circular arc like this:$$
x=2+\cos\theta,\ z = \sin\theta,\ \frac \pi 2\le \theta\le\frac{3\pi} 2$$Now if you rotate that about the z axis, that will change the ##x## and ##y## values:$$
x=(2+\cos\theta)\cos\alpha,\ y=(2+\cos\theta)\sin\alpha,\ z=\sin\theta$$Now if you let ##\alpha## very from ##0## to ##2\pi##, that will get the curved portion.

That's the general method. But if you don't have to do it that way, a probably simpler method would be to just rotate the ds arc elements around.

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. The resulting solid has a circular cross-section at every point along the axis of rotation.

2. How do you find the volume of a solid of revolution?

To find the volume of a solid of revolution, you can use the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2 dx, where f(x) is the function that defines the shape being rotated and the integral is taken over the desired range of x values. This formula is based on the disk method of integration.

3. What is the method of cylindrical shells for finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

The method of cylindrical shells is an alternate method for finding the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells and adding up the volumes of these shells. The formula for this method is V = 2π∫xf(x) dx, where x is the distance from the axis of rotation and f(x) is the height of the shell at that point.

4. How do you determine the bounds of integration for finding the volume of a solid of revolution?

The bounds of integration for finding the volume of a solid of revolution depend on the shape being rotated and the axis of rotation. In some cases, it may be necessary to use multiple integrals or to split the shape into different sections. It is important to carefully consider the shape and axis of rotation when determining the bounds of integration.

5. Can the method of cylindrical shells be used to find the surface area of a solid of revolution?

No, the method of cylindrical shells is only applicable for finding the volume of a solid of revolution. To find the surface area, you can use the formula SA = 2π∫(f(x))√(1+(f'(x))^2) dx, where f(x) is the function defining the shape and f'(x) is its derivative.