How to power an RF Linear Accelerator?

In summary: Matic, so obviously, the cheapest of the cheap would be a Magnetron liberated from a microwave oven. But the problem with those is their frequency is fixed but it also is subject to operational variability. For a practical accelerator I think you'd need to have a reliable frequency that doesn't change during operation and also the ability to vary the frequency as needed to tune the linac operation.I've been looking at ebay and see tube collectors buying and selling Klystrons (mostly reflex). One possibility would be to buy several smaller amplifying klystrons and ganging them together as required to get the requisite power level.Any input would be appreciated. (BTW would there
Strat-O
I want to build a small linear accelerator with an energy level around 2-2.5 MeV and as much beam current as I can get without getting too exotic (but I'll be happy with whatever I can get initially). I will need a means of generating microwave RF with the power requirements, I'm guessing, to be around 1000-1200 watts. I'm not sure what frequency to go with. I've seen variations on frequency for various linacs running from 100 - 800 Mhz.

What I'd like to know is what are some good and relatively inexpensive ways of powering an RF linac?

I'll list what I've discovered so far:

Self contained signal generators
Klystron, Reflex
Magnetron
TWT (?)

Amplifiers (Require external signal generation)
Klystron
TWTA
Solid state microwave amplifier

OK, so obviously, the cheapest of the cheap would be a Magnetron liberated from a microwave oven. But the problem with those is their frequency is fixed but it also is subject to operational variability. For a practical accelerator I think you'd need to have a reliable frequency that doesn't change during operation and also the ability to vary the frequency as needed to tune the linac operation.

I've been looking at ebay and see tube collectors buying and selling Klystrons (mostly reflex). One possibility would be to buy several smaller amplifying klystrons and ganging them together as required to get the requisite power level.

Any input would be appreciated.
(BTW would there be a more appropriate forum for this?)

Strat-O

Physics news on Phys.org
Strat-O said:
OK, so obviously, the cheapest of the cheap would be a Magnetron liberated from a microwave oven. But the problem with those is their frequency is fixed but it also is subject to operational variability. For a practical accelerator I think you'd need to have a reliable frequency that doesn't change during operation and also the ability to vary the frequency as needed to tune the linac operation.
MIT Lab for Nuclear Science had a phase-locked multi-magnetron (S-band I think) standing wave ~20 MeV electron linac in Bldg. 20, that was still there (mothballed) in 1966. Peter Demos was the group leader. Experiments included measuring nuclear (gamma,n) cross sections.

See this paper on phase locking magnetrons

http://epaper.kek.jp/p87/PDF/PAC1987_1464.PDF

Bob S

Thanks Bob. I guess magnetrons are a possibility. (Plus I'm seeing some hits when I Google search linac and magnetron)

I'm not going for big energy so I don't imagine I'll have to try to synch up several magnetrons but that is interesting that that's a possibility!

Strat-O

1. How does an RF linear accelerator work?

An RF linear accelerator works by using radio frequency (RF) electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons, along a linear path. The particles are injected into a series of metal tubes called cavities, which are arranged in a straight line. As the particles pass through each cavity, they are exposed to a high-frequency electromagnetic field that accelerates them to higher speeds.

2. What are the key components of an RF linear accelerator?

The key components of an RF linear accelerator include an electron source, a series of accelerating cavities, focusing magnets, an RF power source, and a beam dump. The electron source generates the initial particles, which are then accelerated by the cavities. The focusing magnets keep the particles on their designated path, while the RF power source provides the necessary energy to accelerate the particles. The beam dump is used to safely absorb the particles once they have reached their desired energy level.

3. How is the RF energy delivered to the particles in an RF linear accelerator?

The RF energy is delivered to the particles through a series of accelerating cavities. These cavities are designed to create an alternating electric field that travels down the length of the accelerator. As the particles pass through each cavity, they interact with this electric field and gain energy.

4. What factors affect the power output of an RF linear accelerator?

The power output of an RF linear accelerator is affected by several factors, including the frequency and strength of the RF energy, the number and length of the accelerating cavities, and the efficiency of the focusing magnets. Additionally, the type and quality of the electron source can also impact the power output.

5. How is the energy of the particles controlled in an RF linear accelerator?

The energy of the particles in an RF linear accelerator is controlled by adjusting the strength and frequency of the RF energy, as well as the length and number of the accelerating cavities. The particles can also be controlled by adjusting the strength of the focusing magnets, which help keep the particles on their designated path and prevent them from straying too far from the desired energy level.