How to prepare for Calculus Based Physics 2?

In summary: I'll try to look them up and link to them when I do. In summary, the individual retook General Physics 1 (Algebra based) in summer and will be taking calc based physics 2 in Fall.
Geo_Zegarra2018
hello,

Some background
I transfer to SUNY Albany in Fall 2017 and took the following courses
Organic chemistry 1: C+
Calculus 2: B-
A PHY 140 Physics I: Mechanics (3): E (like F)
An introduction to the fundamentals of physics: Classical Mechanics. Topics include the concepts of force, energy and work applied to the kinematics and dynamics of particles and rigid bodies and an introduction to special relativity
Physics lab 1: B-

Now, This Fall I’ll be taking
Air Pollution Air quality
Linear Algebra
Quantitative analysis w/lab
A PHY 150 Physics II: Electromagnetism (3)
An introduction to the fundamentals of physics: electrostatics and magnetism, including the concepts of the electric and magnetic fields, electric potential and basic circuits; the laws of Gauss, Ampere, and Faraday; Maxwell’s equations; geometrical optics.
Introduction to Biochemistry

Now my question is:
I retook General Physics 1 (Algebra based) in summer and will be taking calc based physics 2 in Fall. Is there anything I need to know for Physics 2? I completed calc 3 last semester. In December, I changed my major to biology, but now I’m a chemistry major. My advisor let me take physics 1 over the summer and said it will be substituted in for Physics 1 calc based.

What topics from physics 1 comes back in physics 2? When I retook it it made more sense for me and the topics I struggle with in Fall 2017 made a lot more sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
Organic chemistry 1: C+
Calculus 2: B-
A PHY 140 Physics I: Mechanics (3): E (like F)

I like your honesty. Not many are brave enough to publicly declare their grades.

But I am not familiar with your Phy 1, 2 Calc 3 syllabus. I ama not from US. Could you please briefly describe or link the syllabi?

Thanks.

Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
What topics from physics 1 comes back in physics 2?

Well, physics is like a compounding thing, where all previous knowledge applies. But, to try to answer your question, I think there certainly will be a focus on energy, work, and force. This time the forces will be due to electricity and magnetism, but F=ma still rules the day.

Also, expect lots of vectors.

Likes Geo_Zegarra2018
plasmon_shmasmon said:
Well, physics is like a compounding thing, where all previous knowledge applies. But, to try to answer your question, I think there certainly will be a focus on energy, work, and force. This time the forces will be due to electricity and magnetism, but F=ma still rules the day.

Also, expect lots of vectors.

Ah perfect! I love vectors (Calc 3 was my favorite class). Thanks, I will review the work and energy.

e-pie said:
I like your honesty. Not many are brave enough to publicly declare their grades.

But I am not familiar with your Phy 1, 2 Calc 3 syllabus. I ama not from US. Could you please briefly describe or link the syllabi?

Thanks.

Well, I actually deserved that F grade. If my professor used a curved I would have failed both physics 1 and 2. I already took Calculus 3

I don't have the syllabi right now.

1. How much math do I need to know for Calculus Based Physics 2?

Calculus Based Physics 2 requires a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It is important to have a thorough understanding of these mathematical concepts in order to successfully grasp the physics principles.

2. What topics will be covered in Calculus Based Physics 2?

Calculus Based Physics 2 typically covers topics such as electric fields, magnetic fields, circuits, optics, and thermodynamics. It builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus Based Physics 1 and delves deeper into the application of calculus in physics.

3. How can I prepare for the mathematical rigor of Calculus Based Physics 2?

One of the best ways to prepare for the mathematical rigor of Calculus Based Physics 2 is to review and strengthen your algebra, trigonometry, and calculus skills. You can also practice solving physics problems that involve calculus to become more comfortable with the application of these concepts.

4. What resources are available to help me prepare for Calculus Based Physics 2?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for Calculus Based Physics 2. Your textbook, class notes, and online resources such as Khan Academy and Physics Classroom can provide additional practice problems and explanations. Your professor may also offer review sessions or office hours for extra help.

5. How can I succeed in Calculus Based Physics 2?

In order to succeed in Calculus Based Physics 2, it is important to attend all lectures and actively participate in class. It is also crucial to stay on top of homework assignments and practice regularly. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help when needed. Additionally, make sure to review and understand the mathematical concepts before moving on to new material.