How to prove the value of Gamma(1/4)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bit188
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 24K views
bit188
Messages
45
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Self-given problem; I want to prove that Gamma (1/4) is approxiamately equal to 3.625, but can't seem to integrate it properly...

Gamma(z) = (integral between infinity and 0) (t^z-1)(e^-t) dt
(http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function)

Homework Equations


Gamma(n+1) = n Gamma (n)

The Attempt at a Solution


Tried an integration by substitution and an integration by parts, and no luck!

Thanks for your help!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you need to integrate
[tex]\int_0^\infty t^{-3/4}e^{-t}dt[/tex]

What do you mean by "approxiamately equal to 3.625". If that is really what you want to get that, then use a numerical integration.
 
2. That is not the only relevant bit of information, but hey, what the heck (it needs to be an analytic continuation).

3. What makes you think anything but a numerical approximation will work?
 
No, I want to get the real value :P

When I do an integration by parts, I get

(-3/4)(t^6/4) + (3/4)(t^-1/2)(e^-t), which is not the right answer...
 
Really? Well, I suppose I'd better learn more math, then. >_<

Thanks anyhow!
 
You sure you don't just want it approximately?

Numerical integration would be fine for a few decimal places >.< good enough lol
 
Nah... I'm pretty intrigued by this particular function. I'm interested for nonpractical reasons. Thanks though! ^_^