1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove this theorem about linear ODE's?

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that we have the following linear ODE:
    [tex]y^{(n)} + a_{n-1}y^{(n-1)} + a_{n+2}y^{(n-2)} + ... + a_2y'' + a_1y' + a_0y = 0[/tex]
    Prove that if we have (n-1) linearly independent {y1,...,yn-1} solutions then we can find yn.

3. The attempt at a solution
    well, this is my idea:
    Imagine that C(a,b) is the linear space of all the functions that are continuous in the interval [a,b]. Let's define an inner product on this space as the following:
    <f,g> = ∫abf(x)g(x)dx
    Now, Imagine I have n-1 linearly independent functions y1,...,yn-1 then the problem is transformed into finding a function yn such that yn is perpendicular to all the other yi's (i=1,...,n-1).

well, it means I should show that there exists a function that for any yi I have:
    abynyidx

Here is where I'm stuck. What should I do?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by "find [itex]y_n[/itex]". Certainly it is true that if you know n-1 (independent) solutions to an nth order linear d.e., you can reduce to a first order equation for the nth independent solution. But, of course, you may not be able to solve that first order equation!

I see many problems with your proposed method. For example, you talk about "functions continous on [a, b]". Where did "a" and "b" come from? There is no such interval given in the problem nor is there any reason to think a solution would be defined only on such an interval.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3
    well, would you tell me how I can reduce the equation to a first order equation for the nth independent solution? Would that new ODE be linear? If yes, then why I may not able to solve that first order ODE?
    Anyways, your idea seems nice. Please tell me how I can reduce my equation to a first ODE if I have (n-1) independent solutions.

well, you're right but a and b are not my problem right now to be honest because the inner product I've defined stays well-defined even If I define <f,g> = ∫f(x)g(x)dx. Am I right?
    My idea was naive. I thought we have a nth order linear ODE and we know we have (n-1) vectors (linearly independent solutions), so If I find a vector (in this case a continuous function) that is perpendicular to all of them, then it surely is linearly independent and I'll have a basis for the linear space of its solutions. That was my idea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook