How to prove v(t) = (y(t+Δt) - y(t-Δt))/2Δt

  • Thread starter Thread starter sabastronomia
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
sabastronomia
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. Prove that:
v(t) = (y(t+Δt) - y(t-Δt))/2Δt

using kinematic equations for constant acceleration.


3. I tried using the limit as Δt approaches 0 of (y(t+Δt)-y(t))/Δt and somehow adding to get Δt. Could I manipulate the kinematic equations somehow by setting t equal to (t+Δt) or (t-Δt)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sabastronomia said:
1. Prove that:
v(t) = (y(t+Δt) - y(t-Δt))/2Δt

using kinematic equations for constant acceleration.


3. I tried using the limit as Δt approaches 0 of (y(t+Δt)-y(t))/Δt and somehow adding to get Δt. Could I manipulate the kinematic equations somehow by setting t equal to (t+Δt) or (t-Δt)?

Since acceleration is constant: y(t+Δt) = y(t) + vavgΔt = y(t) + (v(t) + v(t+Δt))Δt/2

Does that help?

AM
 
Try using the equation:

y(t)=y(0)+v(0)t+at2/2

Evaluate y(t+Δt) and y(t-Δt), subtract them, and divide by 2Δt, and see what you get.
 
Chestermiller said:
Try using the equation:

y(t)=y(0)+v(0)t+at2/2

Evaluate y(t+Δt) and y(t-Δt), subtract them, and divide by 2Δt, and see what you get.

Perhaps:

y(t)=y(0)+v(t)t-at2/2

might help as well.