1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to quantify fringing fields around a finite width plate electrode?

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't homework or coursework as such, but i thought it may be the best place to ask this question. The last time i posted in the other section it was deleted!

Im considering the case of an electrode of finite width L in the x direction. The y direction is perpendicular to the electrode. The electrode is in contact with an N doped region, donor concentration is ND. The region is depleted so that these are the fixed charges. As i approach the end of the electrode in the x direction, the potential drops off rapidly. This is particularly important for the work im doing. The problem is i cannot find any analytical expressions for the field in this region. The potential should be a "flat bottomed well", with the width of the "flat bottom" determined by the width of the electrode. I tried solving Poissons equation, but it gave me a normal symmetric quadratic potential well. Any ideas?

2. Relevant equations

Poissons equation

2∅ = (-qNd)/εsi
    3. The attempt at a solution

solving it, with the boundary condition that the field is 0 at the edge of the electrode gives:

∅(y) = (-qNDy2)/esi +C1y + C2

The Cs are constants of integration.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?