Laplacian for hyperbolic plates

In summary: No dependence on zNo dependence on zGood.In summary,The homework statement asks for a solution to Laplace's equation for a point in space. The first task is to find a complete set of conditions on the constants a, b, c, n such that, for Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), V = axn + byn + czn is a solution. Once this is done, the second task is to find the electric potential in the region between the hyperbolae described by the two pairs of electrodes.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

Find a complete set of conditions on the constants a, b, c, n such that, for Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), V = axn + byn + czn is a solution of Laplace’s equation ##∇^2V = 0##. A mass filter for charged particles consists of 4 electrodes extended along the z direction, whose surfaces describe hyperbolae in the xy plane: ##x^2 − y^2 = d^2## for one pair, and ##x^2 − y^2 = −d^2## for the other pair, where d is the distance from the axis to the nearest point on an electrode surface. [Each hyperbola has two branches and thus describes two (diagonally opposite) electrodes.] A positive voltage ##V_0## is applied to the pair at ##x^2 − y^2 = d^2##, and ##−V_0## is applied to the other pair. Taking the electrode length along the z axis to be effectively infinite, find the electric potential in the region between the electrodes.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the boundary conditions i get are
##V(x,\sqrt{x^2-d^2},z)=V_0##
##V(x,\sqrt{x^2+d^2},z)=-V_0##
##\nabla^2V=0##

for solutions of the form ##V=\summation a_nx^n+b_ny^n+c_nz^n ## ##c_n=0##

When I use all of these boundary contains i find that we must only have odd powers of x and that

##\summation a_n x^n +b_n(x^2-d^2)^{\frac{n}{2}}=V_0##
##\summation a_n x^n +b_n(x^2+d^2)^{\frac{n}{2}}=-V_0##

but I can't see how to formulate a solution given these as my coefficients will depend on x .

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Begin with the first task:
Find a complete set of conditions on the constants a, b, c, n such that, for Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), V = axn + byn + czn is a solution of Laplace’s equation ##∇^2V = 0##.

Likes Delta2
TSny said:
Begin with the first task:

##ax^{n-2}+by^{n-2} +cz^{n-2}=0 ## ?
But this would imply
##ax^{n-2}=k_x##
##by^{n-2}=k_y##
##cz^{n-2}=k_z##
?

Physgeek64 said:
##ax^{n-2}+by^{n-2} +cz^{n-2}=0 ## ?
OK
But this would imply
##ax^{n-2}=k_x##
##by^{n-2}=k_y##
##cz^{n-2}=k_z##
?

Is ##k_x## some constant? If so, how can you make ##ax^{n-2}## a constant?

TSny said:
OKIs ##k_x## some constant? If so, how can you make ##ax^{n-2}## a constant?
Only if we have n=0?

Physgeek64 said:
Only if we have n=0?
If n = 0 then ##ax^{n-2} = ax^{-2} = a/x^2##.

TSny said:
If n = 0 then ##ax^{n-2} = ax^{-2} = a/x^2##.
sorry n=2?

n=2?

Right.

There is no need to introduce the notation ##k_x##, ##k_y##, ##k_z## .

You found that you need the relation ##ax^{n-2}+by^{n-2} +cz^{n-2}=0 ## to be satisfied. And this must be satisfied for all points (x, y, z) in the region where Laplace's equation holds. Thus, the left hand side of this relation must be independent of the choice of (x, y, z). This can only happen for one value of n.

TSny said:
Right.

There is no need to introduce the notation ##k_x##, ##k_y##, ##k_z## .

You found that you need the relation ##ax^{n-2}+by^{n-2} +cz^{n-2}=0 ## to be satisfied. And this must be satisfied for all points (x, y, z) in the region where Laplace's equation holds.Thus, the left hand side of this relation must be independent of the choice of (x, y, z). This can only happen for one value of n.

Right Then for the next part i have ##V_0=ax^2+b(x^2-d^2)## and ##-V_0=ax^2+b(x^2+d^2)##

##2V_0=-2bd^2##
##b=-\frac{V_0}{d^2}##

and considering the point (d,0)
##a=\frac{V_0}{d^2}## ?

Last edited:
There's more required for the first part. You've found that n must equal 2. Are there any restrictions on a, b, and c?

TSny said:
There's more required for the first part. You've found that n must equal 2. Are there any restrictions on a, b, and c?
a+b+c=0 ?

Physgeek64 said:
a+b+c=0 ?
Yes. So, at this point, how would you write the function V(x, y, z) in the region where Laplace's equation holds?

TSny said:
Yes. So, at this point, how would you write the function V(x, y, z) in the region where Laplace's equation holds?

V=ax^2+by^2-(a+b)z^2 ?

Physgeek64 said:
V=ax^2+by^2-(a+b)z^2 ?
OK.

Now, moving on to the particular problem with the hyperbolic electrodes, can you say anything about how V(x, y, z) should depend on z?

Likes Delta2
TSny said:
OK.

Now, moving on to the particular problem with the hyperbolic electrodes, can you say anything about how V(x, y, z) should depend on z?
No dependence on z

No dependence on z
Good.

TSny said:
Good.
##V=ax^2-ay^2##

##2V_0=-2bd^2##
##b=-\frac{V_0}{d^2}##

##a=\frac{V_0}{d^2}## ?

Physgeek64 said:
##V=ax^2-ay^2##

##2V_0=-2bd^2##
##b=-\frac{V_0}{d^2}##

##a=\frac{V_0}{d^2}## ?
That's a bit of a jump for me. Does the independence of V on z imply any restriction on the constants ##a## and ##b## ?

At this point, what's the simplest way to write V(x, y, z) in the region where Laplace's equation holds. By simplest, I mean write V with the least number of constants.

TSny said:
That's a bit of a jump for me. Does the independence of V on z imply any restriction on the constants ##a## and ##b## ?

At this point, what's the simplest way to write V(x, y, z) in the region where Laplace's equation holds. By simplest, I mean write V with the least number of constants.
a=-b
##V=a(x^2-y^2)##

Likes Delta2
Physgeek64 said:
a=-b
##V=a(x^2-y^2)##
Yes. I now see that you had written ##V=ax^2-ay^2## in post #18, which I overlooked. Good. And you also correctly found the value of ##a##.

So, what's your final answer for V(x, y, z)?

TSny said:
Yes. I now see that you had written ##V=ax^2-ay^2## in post #18, which I overlooked. Good. And you also correctly found the value of ##a##.

So, what's your final answer for the V(x, y, z)?
##V=\frac{V_0}{d^2}(x^2-y^2)##

Very good. Make sure that this does in fact satisfy the boundary conditions at all four electrodes and, of course, that it also satisfies Laplace's equation in the region between the electrodes.

TSny said:
Very good. Make sure that this does in fact satisfy the boundary conditions at all four electrodes and, of course, that it also satisfies Laplace's equation in the region between the electrodes.
Thank you for all your help!

TSny said:
Would you mind also helping with the next bit of the question

A solid, non-magnetic dielectric cylinder of radius R ≪ d and relative permittivity ǫr is placed between the electrodes, centred on the z axis. Sketch the distribution of surface polarization charge induced on the cylinder, and hence show that the cylinder does not acquire a dipole moment. By introducing a term of the form r−2 cos 2φ where appropriate (x = r cos φ, y = r sin φ), propose an approximate trial solution in cylin- drical coordinates for the potential inside and outside the cylinder, valid in the limit R/d → 0. Hence solve Laplace’s equation throughout the region between the electrodes in this limit.

For the first part I have
##\sigma=P \dot \hat{n}##
For a linear material
##P=\epsilon_0\chi_e E##
##E=-\nabla V = -\frac{2V_0}{d^2}x \hat{x} +\frac{2V_0}{d^2}y\hat{y} ##
##P=\frac{2\epsilon_0\chi_eV_0}{d^2}(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y})##
##\sigma = P \dot \hat{n} = \frac{2\epsilon_0\chi_eV_0}{d^2}(x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}) \dot (cos\theta \hat{x} + sin\theta \hat{y})##
using ##x=Rcos\theta## and ##y=Rsin\theta##
##\sigma = \frac{2\epsilon_0\chi_eV_0R}{d^2}##

Which is uniform all the way around so no dipole moment

The first part of the problem asks for a (rough?) sketch of the surface charge distribution. Then, use this sketch to deduce zero net dipole moment of this charge distribution. (That's my interpretation of what they want, anyway.)

Note that a uniform, nonzero ##\sigma## would imply a nonzero net charge on the cylinder.

TSny said:
The first part of the problem asks for a (rough?) sketch of the surface charge distribution. Then, use this sketch to deduce zero net dipole moment of this charge distribution. (That's my interpretation of what they want, anyway.)

Note that a uniform, nonzero ##\sigma## would imply a nonzero net charge on the cylinder.
I don't see how you could sketch it without working out ##\sigma##

Could we not have a non zero volume charge though? To satisfy the conservation of charge

Physgeek64 said:
I don't see how you could sketch it without working out ##\sigma##
Sketch E-field lines in the region of the origin. Look for symmetry. This should help you see any symmetry of the surface charge density.

Could we not have a non zero volume charge though? To satisfy the conservation of charge
Usually, it is assumed that the susceptibility ##\chi_e## is constant inside the material (i.e., does not depend on position). From ##\bf D = \epsilon_0 \left( 1 + \chi_e \right) \bf E##, deduce that ##\nabla \cdot \bf D## ## = \epsilon_0 \left( 1 + \chi_e \right)\nabla \cdot \bf E##. But we know ##\nabla \cdot \bf D## ## = 0## (assuming no free volume charge density ##\rho_f##). Hence, ##\nabla\cdot \bf E## ## = 0##. And this implies zero total volume charge density ##\rho_f + \rho_b##. Hence, what can you conclude about any bound charge density ##\rho_b##?

1. What is the Laplacian for hyperbolic plates?

The Laplacian for hyperbolic plates is a mathematical operator used in the study of hyperbolic plates, which are thin elastic plates that can undergo large deformations and have nonlinear material properties. It is a second-order partial differential operator that describes the curvature and deformation of the plate's surface.

2. What is the significance of the Laplacian for hyperbolic plates?

The Laplacian for hyperbolic plates is important because it allows researchers to analyze the behavior of hyperbolic plates under various loading conditions. It is also used in the development of computational models for predicting the behavior of hyperbolic plates in engineering applications.

3. How is the Laplacian for hyperbolic plates calculated?

The Laplacian for hyperbolic plates is calculated using the partial derivatives of the plate's displacement function, which describes the displacement of points on the plate's surface. It can also be calculated using finite element methods, which involve dividing the plate into smaller elements and solving for the displacement at each node.

4. What are some applications of the Laplacian for hyperbolic plates?

The Laplacian for hyperbolic plates has various applications in engineering, including the design of curved shells and membranes, the analysis of thin-walled structures, and the study of soft materials such as rubber and biological tissues. It is also used in the development of new materials with desired mechanical properties.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplacian for hyperbolic plates?

While the Laplacian is a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of hyperbolic plates, it is limited in its ability to accurately predict the behavior of plates with complex geometries or nonlinear material properties. In these cases, more advanced mathematical models or experimental testing may be necessary.