Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to see this equality (Lagrangian mechanics)

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    Hello,

Can anybody tell me why [itex]\nabla_{\textbf q} \langle \textbf q, P \textbf q \rangle = P \textbf q[/itex]?

Explanation of notations:
    q is an n-dimensional vector: [itex]\textbf q = (q_1, q_2, \cdots, q_n)^T[/itex]
    P is an nxn-dimensional, real, Hermitian matrix
    [itex]\nabla_{\textbf q} := \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial q_1}, \cdots, \frac{\partial}{\partial q_n} \right)^T[/itex]

Background story: I know the (specific) Lagrangian is [itex]\mathcal L = \frac{m}{2} \langle \dot{\textbf q},\dot{\textbf q} \rangle - \frac{k}{2} \langle \textbf q, P \textbf q \rangle[/itex] and the book then tells me that [itex]\ddot{ \textbf q } = - \frac{k}{2m} P \textbf q[/itex] and I presume that they derived this from the Lagrangian equations [itex]\frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dt} \left( \nabla_{\dot{\textbf q}} \mathcal L \right) = \nabla_{\textbf q} \mathcal L[/itex] but to do that I need to have the above equality, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure that 1/2 is there? I'm not getting the 1/2 in my calculations. It's much simpler for me to do the calculation in terms of components:

[tex]L=\frac{1}{2}m\sum_k \dot{q}_k^2-\frac{1}{2}k\sum_{n,m}q_n P_{nm} q_m[/tex]

Giving:
    [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}=m\dot{q}_i[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}=-\frac{1}{2}k\sum_{n,m} (\delta_{in}P_{nm}q_m+\delta_{im}q_nP_{nm})[/tex]

Thus by the symmetry of P (real+hermitian = symmetric):
    [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}=-k\sum_{n} P_{in}q_n[/tex]

I get then:
    [tex]\ddot{q}_i=-\frac{k}{m}\sum_{n} P_{in}q_n[/tex]

This is the component form of your last equation, except I'm missing the factor of 1/2. I could have made a mistake somewhere though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook