Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python How to share info between events

1. Mar 16, 2016 #1
    What is the "proper" way in python to share information between events?

I'm mostly just playing around atm.
    I'd like to compare the most position between a EVT_LEFT_DOWN and EVT_LEFT_UP events
    I can use the class to store the information, but that seems a bit sloppy. Is there a better way??
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can you clarify this? It's not clear to me what you're saying.

4. Mar 16, 2016 #3
    When I'm expecting a chain of subsequent events, for example. Left mouse button down and then left mouse button (click and then release). I'd like to share information between the events.
    In this specific case I pull out the x,y coordinate of where the mouse pointer is when the click happens and would like to compare it to where the release happens.

I'm wondering what the best method for storing that information.
    What I'm doing right now is I've created a dictionary to dump that data. But I'm not sure if this is the best method to accomplish this.

Here is what I have so far. WHen you click it will put a rectangle on the screen. If you click that rectangle again it will delete it unless you "drag" it to a different location.
    So I'm using the self.eventInfo dictionary to store the relevant information between the 2 event handlers.

Code (Python):
    import wx

class circle():
        def __init__(self, posX, posY, radius):
            self.posX = posX
            self.posY = posY
            self.radius = radius

class Shapes(wx.Frame):
        def __init__(self, parent, id, title):
            wx.Frame.__init__(self, parent, id, title, size=(350, 300))

self.Bind(wx.EVT_PAINT, self.OnPaint)
            self.Bind(wx.EVT_LEFT_DOWN, self.leftClickDown)
            self.Bind(wx.EVT_LEFT_UP,self.leftClickUp)

self.eventInfo = {}
            self.eventInfo['leftClickDown'] = False
            self.cir = {}
            self.count = 0

self.count+= 1

self.Centre()
            self.Show(True)

def leftClickUp(self,event):
            if( self.eventInfo['leftClickDown'] == False):
                return
            x, y = event.GetPosition()
            if(x == self.eventInfo['xPos'] and y== self.eventInfo['yPos']):
                del self.cir[self.eventInfo['key']]
            else:
                self.cir[self.eventInfo['key']].posX= x
                self.cir[self.eventInfo['key']].posY = y
            self.Refresh()

def leftClickDown(self, event):
            self.eventInfo ={}
            self.eventInfo['leftClickDown'] = False
            x, y = event.GetPosition()

print "Pos: " + str(x) + ", " + str(y)
            for key in self.cir:
                theCir = self.cir[key]
                print "\t" + str(theCir.posX) + " " + str(theCir.posY)
                if(x >= theCir.posX and x <= theCir.posX + 60 and
                   y >= theCir.posY and y <= theCir.posY+ 60):
                    self.eventInfo['leftClickDown'] = True
                    self.eventInfo['key'] = key
                    self.eventInfo['xPos'] = x
                    self.eventInfo['yPos'] = y
                    return

self.cir[self.count] = circle(x-30, y-30, 60)
            self.flaggedKey = False
            self.count += 1
            self.Refresh()

def OnPaint(self, event):
            dc = wx.PaintDC(self)

for key in self.cir:
                theCir = self.cir[key]
                dc.DrawRectangle(theCir.posX, theCir.posY, theCir.radius, theCir.radius)

app = wx.App()
    Shapes(None, -1, 'Shapes')
    app.MainLoop()

*EDIT* originally I was using circles instead of rectangles. Hence some of the nameing :)

5. Mar 16, 2016 #4

Ibix

Science Advisor

The way you're doing it is the way I'd do it. I suspect a purist might prefer you to create a class that has the wx.Frame as a member and store your eventInfo in that class too "alongside" the Frame rather than "inside". Also, I might define a new class rather than use a dict, but that's just my style.

6. Mar 16, 2016 #5
    Perfect thanks!!

7. Mar 16, 2016 #6
    That's exactly how to do it. Like Ibix said, you might benefit from having a separate structure for it, but it's not necessary considering the size of your class.

I wrote software for VOIP, and we often had to link multiple events together: when I get an END, you have to know things like if the INVITE that started the call had SDP, the capabilities of the phone... I stored all of that information in a structure.

8. Mar 17, 2016 #7
    This is just mucking around for the moment, but parts and pieces will get used in what I'm ultimately working on.
    Want to try and avoid having to go back and rewriting big chunks cause I've programmed myself into a corner, and this would be my first real attempt at an event driven program :)

9. Mar 17, 2016 #8
    Oh, in that case, let me make a recommendation. Don't listen to the mouse events themselves, create a mouse class that does all that. Then "subscribe" to the mouse, and whenever the mouse gets an event, it dispatches a event object to all of it's subscribers. This class can include things like information about previous events, if you want to know the previous state of the mouse, it makes a lot more sense to ask a mouse class than to store it in a window.

10. Mar 17, 2016 #9
    I'll have to look into that.
    I'm still wrapping my head around how to layout the program in general.
    The good thing is this will be an internal testing tool only so if there are some less than optimal coding, it won't matter quite as much :)

11. Mar 17, 2016 #10

Ibix

Science Advisor

I think it can make sense to track mouse events in a window, although it depends on your overall UI design. If you have a lot of different widgets in your interface, most non-custom, and you don't want clicks outside your custom widget to affect the history of clicks in that window then it makes sense to record only the events that happen "inside" that widget.

On the other hand, you might want a mouse click event outside a widget to "reset" the recorded events inside a window. In that case you definitely want to catch mouse events at the earliest level you can and let your various widgets decide if they want to handle them, ignore them, or reset their history (or whatever).

It depends what you're trying to do, I think.

12. Mar 17, 2016 #11
    What I need to track for the mouse is pretty straight forward. Right now I'm thinking I can get away with tracking it via events. That may change however :)

I did whip together an EventDispatcher and it fixed 2 hurdles I was having actually :)

13. Mar 18, 2016 #12
    Nice, I would make an EventListener class as well, and inherit from it for anything you want to have events. These are usually two of the first classes I write when starting a new project in any language.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted