1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to shift a focal point af an objective

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    Hi, i have a simple optical system composed of:

1. objective with 50 mm focal lenght

2. CCD camera that can not be mounted behind the objective, for mechanical reasons... it can only be mounted 1-2 cm far behind the objective.

So i need to "translate" the focal point of the objective 1-2 cm behind the ojcetive original focal point.

How can i do this?? Have i two use one or at least two lenses?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2011 #2
    You can add a negative lens in "series" to increase the focal length. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics [Broken]) "compound lenses". But this will change the image coverage, just like putting a telephoto lens on your camera, and -- maybe you don't care -- likely reduce the sharpness a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 9, 2011 #3
    Hi, thanks for your answer... a reduction of the sharpness is not a problem...

A question: why a negative lens??? I though about two solutions (but maybe the are not the best choice...)

1. a positive lens (diam. 6 - 10 mm) with a focal as shot as possible... few millimeters, posizioned symmetrycally between the focus of the objective and the CCD... to maintain the 1:1 magnification

2. a system comped by two piano convex lenses

what is, in your opinion, the best solution?

bye!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook