Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to shift a focal point af an objective

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    Hi, i have a simple optical system composed of:

1. objective with 50 mm focal lenght

2. CCD camera that can not be mounted behind the objective, for mechanical reasons... it can only be mounted 1-2 cm far behind the objective.

So i need to "translate" the focal point of the objective 1-2 cm behind the ojcetive original focal point.

How can i do this?? Have i two use one or at least two lenses?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2011 #2
    You can add a negative lens in "series" to increase the focal length. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_(optics [Broken]) "compound lenses". But this will change the image coverage, just like putting a telephoto lens on your camera, and -- maybe you don't care -- likely reduce the sharpness a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 9, 2011 #3
    Hi, thanks for your answer... a reduction of the sharpness is not a problem...

A question: why a negative lens??? I though about two solutions (but maybe the are not the best choice...)

1. a positive lens (diam. 6 - 10 mm) with a focal as shot as possible... few millimeters, posizioned symmetrycally between the focus of the objective and the CCD... to maintain the 1:1 magnification

2. a system comped by two piano convex lenses

what is, in your opinion, the best solution?

bye!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook