In a rifle scope, why is the reticle at the focal point?

In summary, for a conventional telescopic riflescope to function, the image must be inverted twice and light-rays must meet at two focal points. The "focal plane" refers to where the image of an object at infinity will form, and the reticle must be in the same plane as the intermediate image for proper viewing. Looking at the sun through a scope without proper filters can damage the reticle and even the inside of the scope. The lines in diagrams of image formation are representational, and the distance to the target can affect where the image appears. This can be adjusted for by moving the reticle inside the tube.
Shadow89
Telescopic_sight_internals-600x195.png

In order for a conventional telescopic riflescope to function, it must invert the image two times.
As a result, the light-rays traveling through the tube must meet at two focal points.

With my limited knowledge of optics, i assume that parallell light going in through the objective will meet at a focal point (or two in this case).

As an example, if you point the scope at the sun, it should collect light at the focal points; And you could theoretically set something on fire by placing it at the focal point. (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

So the way I see it, if you place even the smallest reticle in this focal point, it will block most of the light of an image coming in. Also the size of the reticle should be magnified greatly.
Obviously I have misunderstood something. But what?

Also, why do they call it a "Focal Plane", and not a focal point?

Attachments

• Telescopic_sight_internals-600x195.png
    Telescopic_sight_internals-600x195.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,804
Physics news on Phys.org
Shadow89 said:
Obviously I have misunderstood something. But what?
Only light coming in precisely parallel to the scope will land on the focal point. Light arriving from slightly off axis will land at an offset from the focal point.
Also, why do they call it a "Focal Plane", and not a focal point?
Because it is where the image of an object at infinity will form. Every point on the plane corresponds to an angle of incidence. More generally, for an object not at infinity, every point on the plane corresponds to a point on the object being viewed.

jbriggs444 said:
Only light coming in precisely parallel to the scope will land on the focal point. Light arriving from slightly off axis will land at an offset from the focal point.

Because it is where the image of an object at infinity will form. Every point on the plane corresponds to an angle of incidence. More generally, for an object not at infinity, every point on the plane corresponds to a point on the object being viewed.

Thank you! :smile:

I guess the lines in the picture are purely representational then.

Shadow89 said:
There can be a whole family of lines from points on the object to different places on the focal plane. The reticle only blocks out parts of the image that it lays over.
The reticle has to be in the same plane as the intermediate image so that the eyepiece produces the image of the target for your eye to see at the same place as the reticle. We have all had the experience of a fuzzy reticle and a sharp target image and vice versa. The focal 'point' refers to a single point on the prime axis of the lens which is in the focal plane.
Shadow89 said:
As an example, if you point the scope at the sun, it should collect light at the focal points; And you could theoretically set something on fire by placing it at the focal point. (Please correct me if I am wrong!)
A very bad idea to look at the Sun through almost any optics (except a solar scope or a regular scope with a proper Objective Filter. Lenses are fairly tolerant of high energy flux passing theory them but the reticle will absorb energy from the Sun, focussed on it and fry. It is vital that the Sun never gets a look in at the front end of any scope (even by chance if you leave the scope pointing at its future path in the day) It can score a burn down inside the tube when it is off axis even.
Shadow89 said:
Yes. Showing all the possible rays would just be an unintelligible mush. Google 'Image formation convex lens' for a host of diagrams that will now make sense to you.

Likes Shadow89
sophiecentaur said:
Google 'Image formation convex lens' for a host of diagrams that will now make sense to you.

Thank you. It makes slightly more sense now and you have pointed me in the right direction.

But I googled that and an interresting dillemma came up. See this video (Just turn the sound off and think of it as a series of powerpoint slides):

Evidently, the "image" will appear at different distances from the lens, based on distance to target. Is this adjusted for by moving the reticle inside the tube? I mean, the "focus" of the scope is usually at the ocular (the back) right? (and so cannot possibly affect distance betweeen objective and reticle).

Shadow89 said:
... Evidently, the "image" will appear at different distances from the lens, based on distance to target. Is this adjusted for by moving the reticle inside the tube? I mean, the "focus" of the scope is usually at the ocular (the back) right? (and so cannot possibly affect distance betweeen objective and reticle).
But the diffierence in distance from the lens is very small. For a 5cm focal length lens, an object at 10m distance forms an image only 0.01mm away from the focal plane where an image at infinity would form. You would hardly use a scope sight for such a short range and that difference in focal distance is negligible, less than the thickness of a wire graticule, or maybe comparable, if the line is etched on glass, but I've not seen that.

Likes Shadow89
Merlin3189 said:
But the diffierence in distance from the lens is very small. For a 5cm focal length lens, an object at 10m distance forms an image only 0.01mm away from the focal plane where an image at infinity would form. You would hardly use a scope sight for such a short range and that difference in focal distance is negligible, less than the thickness of a wire graticule, or maybe comparable, if the line is etched on glass, but I've not seen that.

Thank you for the valuable insight.
How far away from the focal plane must the reticle be before I can notice that it becomes "fuzzy"?

Depends on the focal length of the eyepiece.
If the eypiece is say a 1 cm focal length, the an object at 1.00 cm will appear at infinity and an object at 1.04 cm will appear at 25 cm (approx my near point.) So rather less depth of field than I'd thought, but enough to allow objects from 7 m to ∞ to stay in focus, if your eye can accommodate from 25 cm to ∞.

Image at 25 cm (1 cm Eyepiece ) 1.04 cm ( intermediate image ) 5 cm ( 5cm objective ) object at ∞
Image at ∞ (1 cm Eyepiece ) 1 cm ( intermediate image ) 5.04 cm ( 5cm objective ) object at 640 cm

E&OE, it's getting late here.

Merlin3189 said:
Depends on the focal length of the eyepiece.
If the eypiece is say a 1 cm focal length, the an object at 1.00 cm will appear at infinity and an object at 1.04 cm will appear at 25 cm (approx my near point.) So rather less depth of field than I'd thought, but enough to allow objects from 7 m to ∞ to stay in focus, if your eye can accommodate from 25 cm to ∞.

Image at 25 cm (1 cm Eyepiece ) 1.04 cm ( intermediate image ) 5 cm ( 5cm objective ) object at ∞
Image at ∞ (1 cm Eyepiece ) 1 cm ( intermediate image ) 5.04 cm ( 5cm objective ) object at 640 cm

E&OE, it's getting late here.

That makes sense, but have you factored in that both the reticle and the "target" should be in focus at the same time?

No I haven't.
It did occur to me when reviewing the post, but I couldn't think of a quick fix, so didn't mention it!

It's something I haven't thought about before. Although I talk of people accommodating 25 cm to ∞, that involves refocusing the eye. I don't know how much depth of field the eye has to allow images at varying distances to appear in focus together. I expect this has been studied, so I may look into it when I've some time.

I'd guess the graticule is placed at the first image plane and at the focal length of the objective, so that for all reasonable objects the image and graticule are pretty much coincident. Then the user just adjusts the eyepiece to get the graticule comfortably in focus and accepts the image of the target as it comes.

Merlin3189 said:
No I haven't.
It did occur to me when reviewing the post, but I couldn't think of a quick fix, so didn't mention it!

It's something I haven't thought about before. Although I talk of people accommodating 25 cm to ∞, that involves refocusing the eye. I don't know how much depth of field the eye has to allow images at varying distances to appear in focus together. I expect this has been studied, so I may look into it when I've some time.

I'd guess the graticule is placed at the first image plane and at the focal length of the objective, so that for all reasonable objects the image and graticule are pretty much coincident. Then the user just adjusts the eyepiece to get the graticule comfortably in focus and accepts the image of the target as it comes.

Let me know if you find out :)
Also I would like to mention that some scopes have the reticle at the second focal plane. Rifle enthusiasts argue about what is best. The big difference is when you have variable zoom on a scope, one variety will have the reticle increase/decrease in size with the sight picture (helps with rangefinding; bad for reticle visibility).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is the reticle positioned at the focal point in a rifle scope?

In a rifle scope, the reticle is positioned at the focal point to ensure accuracy and precision when aiming at a target. The focal point is the point at which the light passing through the objective lens converges to form a sharp image. By placing the reticle at this point, the shooter is able to align their eye with the image and accurately aim at the target.

2. How does the reticle at the focal point affect the accuracy of a rifle scope?

The reticle at the focal point allows for a consistent and precise aiming point. This is because the reticle is not affected by parallax, which is the apparent shift of the reticle in relation to the target when the shooter's eye moves. Since the reticle is already at the focal point, there is no parallax error, resulting in more accurate shots.

3. Can the reticle be adjusted from the focal point in a rifle scope?

Yes, some rifle scopes allow for the reticle to be adjusted from the focal point. This is known as the second focal plane reticle, where the reticle appears to stay the same size regardless of the magnification level. However, the first focal plane reticle, which remains at the focal point, is preferred by many shooters for its consistent accuracy.

4. Does the distance to the target affect the positioning of the reticle at the focal point?

No, the reticle at the focal point remains at the same position regardless of the distance to the target. This is because the focal point is determined by the optics of the rifle scope and is not affected by external factors such as the distance to the target.

5. Are there any disadvantages to having the reticle at the focal point in a rifle scope?

Some shooters may find it difficult to see the reticle at the focal point in low light conditions. This can be remedied by using a rifle scope with an illuminated reticle. Additionally, if the shooter's eye is not properly aligned with the scope, the reticle may appear blurry or distorted, which can affect accuracy. Proper training and practice can help overcome these potential issues.