1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to show non-negative tangents ?

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Show that there are no tangents to the graph of [tex]f(x) = \frac{5x+2}{x+2}[/tex] that have a negative slope.

2. Determine the equation of the tangent to the curve [tex]y = \frac{x^{2}-1}{3x}[/tex] at x = 2

2. Relevant equations
    1. Our teacher told us not to use the quotient rule because it is not in our curriculum so please do not give me a solution using the quotient rule. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

Gold Member

What about using the product rule with the chain rule then? Use the fact that A/B=AB-1.
  4. Sep 29, 2008 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

1. Or Perform Polynomial division on f(x), then its quite simple.

2. You need 3 pieces of information for a tangent - what are they?
  5. Sep 29, 2008 #4
    for 1. dont i use inequality ? set the equation f(x) < 0 and solve for x if it cant be solved then u can conclude there are no points that can give me a negative tangent
  6. Sep 29, 2008 #5

Gold Member

If you solve f(x)<0, you will be finding all x for which the function itself is negative i.e. below the x axis. But thats not what you want to find, you need to show that the DERIVATIVE is never negative.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?