1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to show set of functions is a vector space?

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S be a set and V a vector space over the field k. Show that the set of functions f: S --> k, under function addition and multiplication by a constant is a vector space.

2. Relevant equations
    I think I need to show that (f+g)(x) = f(x) + g(x) and that (rf)(x) = rf(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Are the above conditions true because both functions f and g for this particular case give you k and (k1 + k2) = k1 + k2 and rk = rk. I just don't understand how to show it. Or do I just literally write (f+g)(x) = f(x) + g(x) and that (rf)(x) = rf(x).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's exactly right. The set of all functions, with the standard definitions of "sum of two functions" and "product of a function and a number", is a vector space because for any two functions f and g, f+ g is also a function and for any function f and real number r, rf is a function.

Strictly speaking you should also show or at least state that addition of functions is associative, commutative, etc. but those might be assumed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook