How to Simplify Factorials with a Proof for k*(k!)=(k+1)!-1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
kathrynag
Messages
595
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm trying to prove k*(k!)=(k+1)!-1

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


This is how far I've gotten:
k[k(k-1)(k-2)...1)]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What you are trying to prove is not true for all k.
 
Ok, but then what would I do since I know it's true for k=1
 
Are you sure the question doesn't say k * k! = (k + 1)! - k!?
 
Ok, so if I was given this question. I just write only true for k=1?
 
mutton said:
Are you sure the question doesn't say k * k! = (k + 1)! - k!?

Well it's 1*1!+2*2!+...+k*k!=(k + 1)! - k!
 
kathrynag said:
Well it's 1*1!+2*2!+...+k*k!=(k + 1)! - k!

That's not true.

[tex]k * k! = (k + 1 - 1) k! = (k + 1) k! - 1 * k! = (k + 1)! - k![/tex]
 
kathrynag said:
Well it's 1*1!+2*2!+...+k*k!=(k + 1)! - k!

1*1!+2*2!+...+k*k!=(k + 1)! - 1
sorry...
 
kathrynag said:
1*1!+2*2!+...+k*k!=(k + 1)! - 1
sorry...

Okay, so how do you plan to prove this?